iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Eames "Tops" film from 1969.  (Read 8282 times)

Ben

• MicroTops
Eames "Tops" film from 1969.
« on: December 07, 2013, 12:42:34 PM »

One of my old college professors shared this with me today.  Charles and Ray Eames were a husband and wife duo that designed some incredibly significant furniture, architecture, and exhibition displays.  They also made many films that have come to be classics.  A lot of people know them from "The Powers of Ten." 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 12:44:53 PM by Ben »

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
Re: Eames "Tops" film from 1969.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 02:45:17 PM »

I really love the little sliver-ball-fringed-tassel-top at 3:33.  Also the music at the moment of radiation!

I've enjoyed the DVD set of the Eames' documentaries...I think it would make my list of stuff to save if my house was on fire.

BTW, Welcome Ben...
Erratic Wobbler

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 03:04:57 PM »

This is a wonderful movie for any top collector.  We discussed it before here, together with the earlier black-and-white version.

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 06:08:31 PM »

I question the date.  There is a plastic flip top at 7:37.  Don Olney, didn't you make the first flip tops???? ???  When????  Correct me if I am wrong. :'( :'(  Otherwise a great top spinning film.
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 12:21:40 AM »

I question the date.  There is a plastic flip top at 7:37.  Don Olney, didn't you make the first flip tops???? ???  When????  Correct me if I am wrong. :'( :'(  Otherwise a great top spinning film.
The flipover top, better known as tippe top (or tippy top) became popular in the 1950's and a German patent had been issued as early as 1891 (by a Helene Sperl.) You can read about the history here: www.fysikbasen.dk/English.php?page=Vis&id=79

By the way, for those who read my fiction story, I now realize that Pauli probably had never seen a tippe top until Bohr showed it to him, as it had been re-invented by a Danish engineer (Werner Østberg) just a few years before.

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 10:02:42 AM »

Thanks Ta0 for getting that straightened out. ;)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 11:42:39 PM »

Don Olney, didn't you make the first flip tops???? ???
German patent had been issued as early as 1891 (by a Helene Sperl.)
Based on my poll of how long have you been spinning tops, Don is not quite that old  :D
I did not know about the B&W version.

topper777

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 03:30:53 PM »

sweet video. so many tops...

jrodriguez

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 04:28:20 PM »

Really enjoyed watching this. Thanks for sharing!
Fearless leader of the Finger Lakes Yoyo Club - PM me for info!
JRod's Yoyo Mods - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jrodsyoyomods/

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 08:03:00 PM »

I was in Kettering today (a city just a few miles from Miamisburg) and I found a little Art Studio with lots and lots of creative and interesting items inside.  Sadly, it was closed so I could only look through the windows.  Then I noticed on the windows a long line of famous artist's names.......including Charles and Ray Eames.  I wonder how much they know about the Eames and their top spinning video?  I will attempt to stop by there sometime and enlighten them a bit!!! 
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 12:22:18 PM »

I never tire of watching this film, and not just for the tops. The angles, lighting, and editing are superb.

ta0: if you have a story involving Pauli, Bohr, and tops, I need to know about it. The photo of the two gazing with wonder at a tippe top on the floor is one of my all-time favoites.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 01:25:54 PM »

ta0: if you have a story involving Pauli, Bohr, and tops, I need to know about it. The photo of the two gazing with wonder at a tippe top on the floor is one of my all-time favoites.
Here it is: http://shorts2013.quantumlah.org/entry/famous-photograph

collectop

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 02:26:09 PM »

Love it any one know whos collection it came from ?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 08:53:13 PM »

Love it any one know whos collection it came from ?
The Eames collected tops themselves, so many are from their own collection. But on the initial credits they also say they had loans from The Girard Foundation, The Museum of Primitive Art and The Nordic Museum in Stockholm.
Perhaps comparing this film with the previous one they made in black and white we could tell which ones are theirs.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 09:36:24 PM »

After years of trying, I finally was by this art studio in Kettering and the door was open.  I went over and asked who were the people with the names on the door.  They said "we are."  I about fell over.  It turns out that they were there celebrating the retirement of one of the guys.  They were in great spirits and showed me all around their studio with the many creative items.  It reminded me of Don Olney's place.  Lots of unusual and large mobiles.  Lots of splashes of paint on large canvases.  Lot of vises and tools.  It was a fun visit.  They only dabble with this and have full time jobs.  One is an an engineer.  Sadly, though, they knew nothing about tops or the Eames film.  Yet, they really did seem interested and promised to look it up.  They also invited me to come back and bring some friends so we could have a creative night together.  I am up for that!!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 09:39:29 PM by the Earl of Whirl »