iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: hollowing methods  (Read 2752 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
hollowing methods
« on: November 03, 2013, 04:43:19 PM »

hey i was gonna try to make a hollow top and before i started trying to figure out how from scratch i thought maybe u guys might be able to give me some ideas on the best way to go about it???? thanks  ;)

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: hollowing methods
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:24:14 PM »

I make it in two halfs, doing the inside first, one end is a counter bore so it lines up good. Then I glue them together and turn the whole top. I draw the top on drafting paper so it 's to scale. And I have my X and Z dim. I am thinking about doing a video on how I balance, and turn tops. And how I pull my tips in with 6-32 screws. Making the hallow top is not easy, so do your'e homework. Some wood cracks so you want to keep them wet between cuts. I learn everything the hard way. The best wood for learning to me is Poplar. Cuts good, and you don't have to balance it. It's worth learning.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:19:05 PM »

Cecil, any video on making hollow tops would be one I'd sure watch! 

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »

Here is a good thread to read on the topic:

http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,1154.msg11492.html#msg11492

be sure to watch this slide show by Eric Wolff

http://public.fotki.com/YoEric/turning-a-wooden-gu/?cmd=fs_slideshow

Like Cecil, I do my 4" - 5" tops in two pieces, like turning two bowls separately.  I use a 4-jaw chuck to hold them like in Eric's slideshow.  Do a step joint between the two pieces, glue them together and hold it from the inside of the crown to finish things off.  CAKE!

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »

I will try and make the video tomorrow, I want to show how I use the two bearings with the accelerator rod. And how I make the Spintastic C tip fit the Ripcord.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 12:50:22 PM »

I will try and make the video tomorrow, I want to show how I use the two bearings with the accelerator rod. And how I make the Spintastic C tip fit the Ripcord.

that would be amazing cecil  :o