iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My Oh My Oh Miamisburg Whirled Top Fest 2013  (Read 29122 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: My Oh My Oh Miamisburg Whirled Top Fest 2013
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 03:01:46 PM »

Darren?  Oh my again!!!

I thought it was crazy to dream about Daveid also being in the car with Alan and Chris.  I do not know how you are pulling this together, Alan, but the idea of an all-star top spinning team crossing the country is fantastic!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 04:00:45 PM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 09:33:06 PM »

Johnm, probably others from Cincy Top Labs

Unfortunately I'm basically all that is left here at UC.  Although Patrick is around, he hasn't really spun tops in quite awhile.  Aaron 2.0 has left with a masters degree and although he is still in town he and Patrick are attending the wedding of a colleague in Chicago that weekend.  That is one of the problems with schools, people graduate and leave  :'(.  It seems Bryan was the real attractor for people to hang out and spin tops, when he stopped to finish his research and write his dissertation most everyone else also stopped.  I guess I'm too old and don't drink enough to keep them coming back ::).

I think the possible amazing crowd showing up will more than compensate for light attendance from UC.

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 11:20:43 PM »

Talked to Darren while we were spinning tops in the park today and he will not be able to make the trip. Looks like it will be Daveid, Chris and me. Should be an epic road trip. Really looking forward to next weekend Mike. Hope you have space for all three of us. We could just camp out in the Hall of Fame.
Will be nice to meet you johnm. Any chance of a lab tour?
I just finished a new top today that is pretty amazing. I found some of the parts in the clearance isle at the store. Will try to get some photos.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 06:54:42 AM »

Talked to Darren while we were spinning tops in the park today and he will not be able to make the trip. Looks like it will be Daveid, Chris and me. Should be an epic road trip. Really looking forward to next weekend Mike. Hope you have space for all three of us. We could just camp out in the Hall of Fame.
Will be nice to meet you johnm. Any chance of a lab tour?
I just finished a new top today that is pretty amazing. I found some of the parts in the clearance isle at the store. Will try to get some photos.

There is always time for a lab tour.  Gotta go clean  :-[

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 12:24:22 PM »

Sorry to hear Darren will not be able to make it but I can't be too sorry with Alan, Chris and Daveid coming!  Wow!!!

I gotta go clean, too.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 01:19:06 PM »

;D ;DThere is always time for a lab tour.

good going John !
I was thinking the same before you wrote the sentence  !! ah ah !

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 07:32:23 PM »

Masters Alan Grey and Daveid B. are coming to my house Thursday night (!!!)
Time to clean the basement  :-[

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 09:48:35 PM »

It sounds like things are looking good for the Top Spinning All-Stars and their whirlwind tour of the United States.

Things are coming together a little better around here.  I do not have a funeral on Saturday, now.  It is Friday morning, so I should be able to handle everything in preparation for the festival.  It might cut into my recruiting for the youth teams but we will see how that goes.

I am thankful that the weather looks good for Saturday with a high of 82 degrees and sunny.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 11:49:31 PM »

Whew......I am beat but I am just about ready for the entire weekend.  I just finished the last of writing two sermons and typing out the bulletins and getting everything organized for the funeral service and Sunday's service.  Tomorrow morning we will print and fold and put together the funeral bulletins and the Sunday bulletins and then get through the funeral at 11am.  Then it is back to getting some more work done on the house, the hall of fame and the top festival preparations.  Maybe I won't get much done at the hall, who knows?

I talked with John Buechele last night.  Sadly, he will not be able to be with us.  He is kicking himself that he won't get to meet Alan and Daveid as well as listen to everyone's ideas.  If all goes well, he will finish school by Christmas then he might be able to spin more with us and make some tops (which is his long term goal).

On the good news side, I heard back from Phil Newport.  He was the one who turned tops at the big artistry in wood event in the Dayton convention center.  He definitely is coming and can't wait to talk to the wood turners!

Hope all is going well over in the Kansas area with Alan Gray's first stop.  Maybe there will even be some sleeping between all the top talk.  Is Daveid on board yet?  Safe travels to the All-Stars and the second leg of their journey. 

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 02:27:41 AM »

wait, i'm going where? what are you guys talking about?....

nah, just kidding we're at neff's right now, they all just went to sleep, i'm about to finish my vodka and do the same... (neff's house is awesome, his ceiling is high, his wife makes awesome snacks, and if my feet weren't so tired i'd be tempted to stay up all night playing with the wonderful selection of tops in this basement).
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 09:35:06 AM »

Thanks for the report.  Glad Alan made it to Kansas without too many whirlwinds.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 10:26:19 AM »

About 10:00 am Eastern time, they are ready to leave Jefferson City, Mo. headed for Cincinnati. ;D  We should have the Santa Claus tracker on these guys.

Eli Hickerson

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2013, 04:56:43 PM »

I'm feeling pumped. I just got out of school and I'm ready for some ribs at bullwinkles.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 05:30:08 PM »

Yippee!!!  The Hickerson's are coming.

That means we have people coming from the far west and people coming from the far south.  We will have to work on our outreach to the north and the east!

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 11:47:59 PM »

Wow!  Sorry I kept them so long Mike, but they are on the road from Cincinnati to Miamisburg.

I'm planning to get to the church about 10:00am Saturday morning.  I'll hang out there for a while and if no one comes I'll stroll over to Mike's house looking for the fun.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up