iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: painting woodtops  (Read 1874 times)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
painting woodtops
« on: May 04, 2013, 02:30:23 AM »

hi all
what paint do you use to paint tops ? how many layers ?
my question follows a few tries : i use "acrylic" paint which can be diluted with water, there are very good tints , mixable ,rather cheap to buy, but to get a good finish i have to put 4 to 6 layers !!
what paint is used on Watts tops ?

thanx for your input

jim 8)
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: painting woodtops
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 07:39:48 AM »

I'm interested to know what Walter uses on his spin tops also.  I know he uses a primer coat, and my guess is the topcoats are enamel.

I think latex would be good but I have had trouble with it.  Plywood tops are hard to paint.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Re: painting woodtops
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 08:50:38 AM »

A nice look can be had with various markers in the lathe. I recall a video posted here a while back (an Italian top maker perhaps).

Back before the theft of my tops, I had a small finger top that was colored with sharpie brand markers. The maker used some sort of tool chatter technique that left a textured surface on the top.  Light marker pressure in the lathe put beautiful patterns on the top.

With this markers, the grain shows and the color is of the wood affects the final color.

For a Class A glossy coat, surface preparation is the key.  Sanding, Grain fill coat, sanding, Grain seal coat, sanding, priming, look for defects, repeat, etc.   Plan to spend 20 times more effort in preparation than painting.  Many of the best products have terrible fumes. Invest in a good fume mask ($40) With preparation and practice very nice results can be had with Spray Can Automotive type paints.

For a pretty darn good coat, Try 3 coats with a spray can of Auto Primer. Sand between coats. Then your choice of color(s) in 1 or 2 coats.

Post Photos.