iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sculptures from Guadalajara, Mexico  (Read 4594 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Sculptures from Guadalajara, Mexico
« on: March 02, 2013, 07:11:15 PM »

Cuper sent me this photograph of large top sculptures made by a group of artisans in Tonalá, a satellite city of Guadalajara, (Jalisco, Mexico.)  He tells me there were 6 tops.

Here is another from an article I found, showing the process of making ten smaller ones (1 meter tall):

One more photograph opportunity to add to a future trip to Guadalajara, together with the Trompo Mágico's world-top and Cuper's incredible trompomovil.

jochs12

Re: Sculptures from Guadalajara, Mexico
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 12:46:46 AM »

I have dreamed of boomeranging a giant top by using a pick-up truck . . .  Something like those crazy projects they show on TV.  I just need to find a sponsor  :D
Those definitely look Truck lanchable.  >:D
Enjoy taking my tops for a spin

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:54:16 AM »

Nice! 

One of those would look great in my backyard.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »

I have dreamed of boomeranging a giant top by using a pick-up truck . . .  Something like those crazy projects they show on TV.  I just need to find a sponsor  :D
Those definitely look Truck lanchable.  >:D
They are the right size for a truck launch (I am thinking boomerang, actually  ;)  :-X ) but way too fragile.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 06:22:05 PM »

Boomerang.  Ha!

WaxyAxle

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 08:00:18 PM »

One of those would look great in my backyard.

Ha, one of those would look great in my FRONT yard!!

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 08:51:15 PM »

but way too fragile.

Google translates the article in a less than ideal way from my English only point of view but this statement seems understandable,
For almost a week, 15 artisans have been decorating 10 fiberglass tops three feet in height

I would think a fiberglass top would be quite durable.  Now some other words that appear in somewhat questionable context from the translation are "potter" and "ceramic" so if these tops are clay then fragile they are.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 09:35:47 PM »

but way too fragile.

Google translates the article in a less than ideal way from my English only point of view but this statement seems understandable,
For almost a week, 15 artisans have been decorating 10 fiberglass tops three feet in height

I would think a fiberglass top would be quite durable.  Now some other words that appear in somewhat questionable context from the translation are "potter" and "ceramic" so if these tops are clay then fragile they are.

You are right John, it clearly says that they are made of fiber glass, even if the artists that paint them are potters.

Boomerang.  Ha!
The pick-up truck would launch the top using a rope, and after flying and flipping over the top would land on the bed of the same truck. Boooooomeraaaaaaang!  I think I have a plan that would work.

jochs12

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 04:59:26 AM »

The pick-up truck would launch the top using a rope, and after flying and flipping over the top would land on the bed of the same truck. Boooooomeraaaaaaang!  I think I have a plan that would work.
This sounds like a "loco...ol" idea.  You might want to start investing in roll cage piping, steel plating and extra thick Plexiglas windows for your truck cab area.  I am assuming that you have some sort of pull back arm envisioned?

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 06:32:38 AM »

Perhaps you should build and test a small version with a $25 remote control truck. >:D

link = truck on Amazon

topper777

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 06:50:39 PM »

the artwork on these massive pieces is beautiful.