Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Snag  (Read 2995 times)

Jerry

Snag
« on: February 06, 2013, 01:23:36 PM »

Problem with throwing top . My string is slightly smaller or about trhe size of a pencil lead fairly soft 300lb. test kite flying line my other hobby.  Here is what is happening I give a sidearm throw not to fast and when it gets to the end it hangs up and the top more or less stops at the end of its line and then come to an abrupt stop suggestions are  welcome wish I could explain it better and post the top to show you but I am having problems makig and sending the photos in a smaller format. Thanks for your time.

Jerry

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Snag
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 01:37:37 PM »

Hi Jerry.  From your description I think you need some real top string.  The thin string you're now using is probably bunching up at the tip and not cleanly releasing. 

You don't say what top you're spinning.  There are lots of string options around. Try some and I bet you'll be throwing fine.

Sam

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 01:40:34 PM »

Hey Jerry, what top are you spinning? When I started out I liked using thicker string and as time passed I moved more toward a thinner string. Even so everything I have used has been much bigger then the stuff you have described. I was told by Ta0 that the thickness of the string doesn't matter as much as how far the winding goes up the top. (This is not a quote but more what I got from what he said) So the thicker the string I used to start allowed me to throw using a shorter string which I found easier early on. When i went to a smaller string it had to be longer to go the same distance up the top so I had to adjust my throws for the longer length.

That being said Neff sells some great string and it's mostly what I use right now. Here is a link to the thread on his string and I'm sure he can hook you up if your interested.

http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,2476.0.html

A search on string length should bring up more information on this topic. Good luck!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:18:20 PM »

Is it possible that the top is hitting the ground before the string is done unwinding?  Which way is the tip pointed when it hits the ground?  What did you eat for breakfast?

Jerry

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 10:52:38 PM »

Top that I am trying to get spinning was just made  maple hollow 3/8" to 1/2" wall thickness size approx. 5.5" by 6.75" for a tip I reshaped a 3/8" by 3"  16tpi. bolt treaded into the top. would like to put in a bearing type tip but for now this will do. Just bought some #10 crochet thread and am going to attempt a thread I have all the other goodies to make the string. but could use some info on string Dia. do I need four strands for this size top or should I try three first.
Jerry

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 12:23:14 PM »

That is a pretty big top.  You need a thick string, so I would go for the 4 strands.

As Sam said, you can trade thickness for length, e.g. thicker = shorter, to keep the height of the wrap (in relation to the center of mass of the top) the same. But with bigger tops it is better to go thicker. Not only the string length will be more manageable, but it will hold the wrap better under the weight of the top.

There are several free online services that can resize your images (just search for "free image resize online") if you want to attach your pictures to the board.  Or you could host them on a free picture hosting site and link from the post (preferably from a service that will let you embed the actual picture in the post).

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 12:33:13 PM »

salut jerry
welcome to the forum : you have given me the will to look again into this wonderful book : "Tops : Making the universal toy" by Michael Cullen (get it if you can)
it has a very useful conversion table to metrics !!
that checked ,considering the size of your spintop, i would highly recommend a 4 strands-string: if you're right handed you should twist each strand clockwise and then do the overall twist counterclockwise
be sure to have enough length at the start because it will shrink at the end
go for a 8 inches feet of string that you might shorten when throwing ( betw 6 and 7 should be fine)

for your image problem
you can resize them so that they fit into the forum standards or
you can just upload them somewhere and write the link

hope that helps

jim
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:48:46 PM by ta0 »
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Jerry

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 10:03:01 PM »

photo