iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trompo Carrying Cases  (Read 20629 times)

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
Trompo Carrying Cases
« on: October 11, 2009, 12:01:37 PM »

Okay, i've seen tons of yo-yo case from the modest to the extravagant. What do you recommend for a spintop case? Let's see some pictures, too.

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
Re: Trompo Carrying Cases
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:35:01 PM »

This is my "Do it myself" option in neoprene.

Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 09:19:16 PM »

I found an old microphone case at the church and took out all of the foam on one side.  At a craft store I bought a big piece of foam and cut it to the size of the case.  I then cut some holes in the foam for the tops and had me a decent case for very little money (and space for 14 tops).  I was surprised to see the high prices on some of the new cases.  I used this case on top of the music stand when I did my stilted freestyle this year.

There have to be a bunch of used cases out there that can be adapted fairly inexpensively.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 11:30:26 PM »

Any case will work.  Find one the size you want, how many tops do you want to carry.  At a fabric or sewing store buy a piece of foam to fit.  If you want round holes a hole saw run backwards works well.  Or you can cut the rim and lid off of a metal can and push it through the foam with a rocking or twisting motion.  You can also bend the can in the shape of the top and push it through with a slight rocking motion.  Or like GReg does make the hole in the shape of a star so that it will take any irregular or what ever shape.
Practice hard and play safe.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 01:20:24 AM »

This is the one I made a few years ago but it is an overkill and I don't recommend it. I used one of those Pelican cases for camera equipment or instrumentation. The tops are very well protected but the case is too heavy. Also I left too much space between them. I need to make myself something much more portable and space efficient. The good thing about it is that everybody realizes that you take your tops seriously   ::)

Mike's case worked incredible well at worlds. I cannot believe that he set up the stilts routine by himself without any problem. He just walked on stilts to the stage, placed the stand and the case on top, opened it and was ready to go.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:21:56 AM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 10:22:46 AM »

Jorge, you are so nice!  What is this....mild mannered Monday?  Anyway, thanks for your kind words.

Actually, I thought it was interesting that you think your case is overkill.  Your case is what I always admired and tried to emulate!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »

Here's mine:

Plate velcros into the lid.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:54:57 PM by yophosis »

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 01:00:12 PM »

well, i'm jealous of you all. that's all i'm going to say.

YoAaronD

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 03:05:44 PM »

I have a pretty slick yo case. I only have a few tops, so I just stow them in there. Give me a little while and I'll get a pic for you.   

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 03:11:03 PM »

Anything will do, really - I just finished another yo-yo case - bought a vintage american tourister briefcase online and ordered some foam to fit from these guys:
http://www.efoamstore.com/shopcart2/default.asp?id=10
They are not super speedy, but you can order the exact size you want - be sure to get the medium firmness "charcaol packing foam".  Cut off the top of an empty tomato paste can, sharpen with a little sandpaper, press, twist, and POOF! hole.  Vienna sausage cans work for slightly larger holes.  I've yet to come up with a recipie involving both veinna sausages and tomato paste.

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 03:32:59 PM »

Wait to see mines. I hope tao will put my photos here. I am not used to put -hule espuma- (plastic foam) in the cases, I use mainly those ones that are used to contain tools or machinery for hard works.
In some cases (casos) I use my knapsacks o cangureras.

Jeromy K.

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 04:43:15 PM »

Here is what I use it is not a perfect if on the tops but it works, I am going to be making individual bags for my tops, like Mr. Dick Stohr uses for his tops. I like the idea of a pouch for my tops verses a case for them all to be in. After i get that project done I will be consolidating my yo-yo to a smaller case. The funny thing is that I use to have 12 yo-yos and 2 tops now the ratio is way different.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 05:14:23 PM »

What you saw at Nationals was for my big tops.  I nested several trade show bags to cushion NFO.  Eric's colorwood was presented with a leatherette bag and the acrabat comes with a cloth bag.  Both of them rest around NFO and are well protected.  I thought the question was about carrying more than a few of the Duncan and Spintastics sized tops, that is why I responded about the yo-yo style carry bags.

jeffs

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 06:00:21 PM »

The standard Yomega yo-yo case is also makes a very handy day-bag for tops. You can see pictures of it on the II site. Wouldn't be much use for those with a serious case of SAD (Spinning Acquisition Disease), however, since it only has room for 12. I modified mine to have small accessory box, so it only holds 10 now. In the attached picture that's a Quick Silver in the upper right, which only required reinforcing the bottom of the case with a small piece of cardboard to protect the fabric from the point.

Jeff Smith, Kalamazoo, MI

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 08:21:28 PM »

Nice collection of tops, Jeff! That's the only Topdog with (what appears to be) an enyo crown and dual tip I have ever seen. One of those Gates is also dual-tip ready, isn't it? And it must be the only traveling case with a Chihuaha.

Before the Pelican case I used a clear plastic toolbox similar to Jeromy's.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:59:58 PM by ta0 »