iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Alan is famous again  (Read 2868 times)

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
Alan is famous again
« on: December 08, 2012, 12:45:41 AM »

My wife Lenore is down in Miami at a huge art show called Art Basil, and today she ran across one of Alan's tops in a VIP lounge. Go Alan!

IMAG0417 by markhayward534, on Flickr

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Alan is famous again
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 09:15:46 AM »

Congratulations, Alan!  For those new to the board, read this thread.  This is from the 2011 Venice Biennial:

Alan, what happened to the new work that was going to be an outdoor sculpture in New York?

I hope Cyril gets one for his collection one day.  And if I win the lottery I can then buy it from his estate  :P
Just for curiosity I looked if any was for sale/auction.  From a quick search I could only find two paintings by the same artist with the building on a top motive:

I also found this year he made a smaller sculpture in a series of 5, so I guess they should be for sale, but alas the tops are not made by Alan:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 09:19:19 AM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 10:27:04 AM »

Wow!  That is great Alan.  Congratulations.  To have someone randomly run across one of your pieces of top art is amazing.  It would be like someone just randomly walking into a building and hearing one of my sermons.  It just doesn't happen to us normal folks.  Although, there was the one time I walked into a an elevator with a broken speaker and it sounded a bit like some of my mutterings.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 11:18:42 AM »

Although, there was the one time I walked into a an elevator with a broken speaker and it sounded a bit like some of my mutterings.

LOL!!!!  Good one Mike!

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 01:45:50 PM »

Very cool find Mark! Lenore was very knowledgeable about it. I was not aware that it would be displayed there. Looks like the original building and top combination. They really have it tilted on the display. Good to see it is holding up well.

The alabaster and polished concrete top/building piece is really nice. I had not heard of it either. Has anyone ever played with a stone spin top?

The tops for Park Avenue are still in the works from what I hear. I was planning to make them from Styrofoam and then cover them with stucco. While contacting a foam company about the best foam to use for the project, they informed me they could just cut the entire top shape from two large pieces of foam. All they needed was the CAD file. There is no way I can beat that precision. The two halves will be glued together around a center support pipe and the entire top will be covered in fiberglass and resin at a boat shop. The finish should be absolutely perfect. Much better that what I could have done by gluing together sheets of foam. I may get to go and assist with the assembly process.
The shape of the top is exactly like the alabaster top. It must be from the same CAD file.

Thanks Mike. I can't imagine you ever muttering. I'm sure your sermons are always inspiring. Especially when you throw a spin top or two into it.

topper777

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 02:08:55 PM »

spectacular pictures!