iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Linked Events

• 2013 RIT Spring Juggle-In: April 12, 2013 - April 14, 2013

Author Topic: 2013 RIT Spring Juggle-In and Olney's workshop tour  (Read 3212 times)

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
2013 RIT Spring Juggle-In and Olney's workshop tour
« on: November 21, 2012, 08:34:35 AM »

I propose that we all meet at the RIT juggling festival next year. We could tour the shop, throw some tops, tour the shop some more, throw some tops some more, and maybe even eat some food too. The 2013 Jugglefest at RIT is April 12-14.   http://www.rit.edu/sg/jugglingclub/jugglein/
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:37:01 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: 2013 RIT Spring Juggle-In and Olney's workshop tour
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 10:33:13 AM »

Great idea!  I am not 100% sure I can make it, but I will definitely try.  Just meeting Don and visiting his lair is worth the trip, plus playing with Mark and whoever else comes is icing on the cake.

I was once before in Rochester but it was just before getting into tops.  I remember the elephant trophy head at the Kodak Museum/Eastman's mansion . . .
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:35:27 AM by ta0 »

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 12:15:27 PM »

Sounds like a great idea!
Practice hard and play safe.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 04:35:30 PM »

I once ran against an athlete from RIT.  He was a good hurdler and beat me in that, but I could jump and throw a little better than him so I was able to slightly beat him in a decathlon.  Ahhh, good memories for an old man!

The good news for me is that date is two weeks after Easter.  But I do not know exactly what my track schedule looks like for that weekend.  I will keep checking on it.  It would be a dream come true to be there!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »

It will be great to have several top folks here for the festival, and a tour of the top collection, etc!  We'll be glad to make non top things too.
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 09:18:43 AM »

ta0, are you really going to RIT?  It is after Easter and I could possibly get off that Sunday.  It is an eight hour drive but it would be worth it to be there with you and Don and hear some of your conversations!

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »

This could be quite a weekend!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 11:05:15 PM »

Yeah, I am coming to RIT.  ;D

I have been looking at plane tickets.  Is it enough to arrive Friday afternoon and leave Sunday evening?  Or should I stay until Monday?
What will you do Mike? Mark?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 11:43:56 AM »

I have a big track meet that Friday evening.  It is one that includes all the Cincinnati schools plus some to the north.  It is really a big meet and, for some odd reason, our pole vaulters have had really good results there.  So I drive home all cranked and sit up half the night all excited and cannot go to sleep.  I have decided to just "hit the road" this year and use that adrenaline to start driving to Rochester.  I think I can get at least halfway and then finish the rest on Saturday morning.  My idea is that I will be a part of things on Saturday afternoon and evening and all of Sunday.  I don't think I need to be back in town until Tuesday afternoon for another track meet, so I plan on being in the area on Sunday night and part of Monday.

Amazingly, I have tossed this idea around the house and people are open to it and last night I shared this possibility with the church council and everyone seemed OK with it.  I think I have cleared some significant hurdles!!!