iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hey All  (Read 3791 times)

Sam

• Gold Member
Hey All
« on: October 25, 2012, 09:46:59 PM »

I yoyo a lot and recently I picked up a Duncan Bearing King Top with my last yoyo purchase. I'm really having fun with it so far though all I have been able to do is land a boomerang a few times. I was glad to find this message board with all its great information. I'm looking forward to learning more about this sport.

Sam

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Hey All
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 10:51:17 PM »

Welcome to the board, Sam.  Great to have you with us.

Glad to hear you are spinning and already have some boomerangs to your credit.  You are making quick progress.  Keep it up!  We can't wait to hear how you are doing.

Where are you from?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Sam

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:00:38 AM »

I'm from Pinebluff, NC. I've been working with the top a lot lately. Trying to get a yoyo friend into playing with one too.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 09:25:07 AM »

Welcome to the forum and the sport, Sam!  Don't hesitate to ask beginner questions, you'll find the members very helpful.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 11:22:44 AM »

I have a new grandbaby in Greensboro.  How far are you from my son and his family?  I love looking for excuses to go down there!

Sam

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 02:04:46 PM »

Thanks ta0, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. After reading some posts I'm already looking to mod the Bearing King top. I already have the spintastics trompo tips on the way. I saw several posts regarding the provided string being shorter then it should be. What is the best length for the bearing king top? Is there a good place to get them? I also saw the post on Watts Tops and I hope to own one of those soon.  :)

Earl, I live about 45 minutes to an hour from Greensboro. I used to have a sister that lived there while she went to UNCG. If your ever over this way let me know and we can meet up. I'd like to see some good tricks and get some advice in person.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 03:15:12 PM »

Welcome to the Forum Sam!
I am sure you will find everyone here very helpful. 
Lots of folks with lots of skill and always willing to share their knowledge.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 09:11:13 PM by Larry D. »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 06:07:45 PM »

I saw several posts regarding the provided string being shorter then it should be. What is the best length for the bearing king top? Is there a good place to get them?
Standard thickness string on a BK should be 64" IMO.  This varies a bit between player preferences, but with a "correct" throw (tip straight up when released), 64" is gold.

Here is a great place to get string  ;D

http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,2476.msg25320.html#msg25320

Spintastics also has great string.  You can find some cotton string at hardware stores, but I have yet to find anything that I would use regularly.  Emergency only kind of stuff.  Don't waste money on nylon string.

Kevin M. is in NC I think...

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 06:43:57 PM »

The lower part of the BK and the Ripcord bodies have a rougher texture, probably to help avoiding slippage (a good design idea).  My rule of thumb is that the wrap should be one turn shy of the end of that region.  You can use that rule with any thickness of string.

Sam

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 09:07:56 PM »

Thanks Larry, everyone has been really helpful so far.

Neff, thanks for the string link. :) I'm looking forward to trying out your strings.

ta0, thanks for the rule of thumb. My string is way short then.