iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spin Top Specific Spanish words?  (Read 5157 times)

RunBMC

Spin Top Specific Spanish words?
« on: September 22, 2012, 08:43:47 PM »

Hi guys, I'm sorry I've been gone so long! One reason I have been gone is because I've picked up a new hobby, guitar-playing, but the main reason is that I have been enrolled into the IB programme,which is an incredibly hardworking and stressful environment implemented into school kids. I've had the time to finally get the tops spinning again, so now that I'm back, I wanted to start a new topic that, as I suspected, wasn't talked about on this forum before. So I am in an Honors Spanish class that I love, and I feel that I'm starting to get good enough to where i can read, understand, and possibly post in all-Spanish spin top forums. This leads me to my topic question: What are some Spin Top specific Spanish words that I will need to know? I know the obvious, that the word for top is trompo, but are there any others that I wouldn't learn in a traditional Spanish class? For example, one thing that I have a question about is if I would use the verb "tocar" to talk about playing with tops. My teacher said it is mostly used for playing instruments, but it can also be used to describe anything you do with your hands or fingers, so I'm not very sure. Is there any slang that Spanish speakers use when talking about tops? Are there multiple words for "to spin" that I should use specifically for tops/yoyos? I trust you guys more than I trust my teacher on this subject, especially because she's not even a native Spanish speaker, and I say this just encase you guys are wondering why I don't just ask my teacher these questions. I may have only taken Spanish for a couple of years, I feel that I'm almost ready to take these forums head-on!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:58:04 PM by RunBMC »
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

Muzico

• Gold Member
Re: Spin Top Specific Spanish words?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »

Hola RunBMC!!
I am Spanish and I think that I can help you.

In Spain, Spin Top is called: Trompo, Peón, Peonza.

To talk about playing Spin Tops you should use the verb "Jugar".
For example:
I play spin top = Yo juego al trompo.
I play guitar = Yo toco la guitarra.
The verbs "Tocar" y "Jugar" are differet in Spanish. In Spain, "Tocar" is the same as Play an instrument or touch something.

Spin = Girar in Spanish.
The top is spinning = El trompo esta girando.

I don´t know a lot of English, but I hope that this help you.

Yo espero verte pronto en España para que tu puedas practicar español (translate this :) )

RunBMC

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »

Thanks, this definitely helps! Are trompo, peón, or Peonza more appropriate at certain times, or are all three completely optional on how I use them? Also, I find it very interesting when I put the word "peón" in an online translator it says in Mexico it means "laborer" or "assistant" but in Spain it means "(spinning) top" , this makes no sense! Perhaps Spanish speakers think the same of English speakers.  :P Other than that I believe you have answered all of my right questions right now. Thank you again!

Does your Spanish sentence mean, " I hope to see you soon in Spain so that you can practice Spanish."?
I completely translated that myself except for the word "verte" because I am not used to seeing "ver" conjugated that way.

Muzico

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 05:05:31 PM »

"Peón" in Spanish also means "construction worker".

In regard to tops: Peón, Peonza and Trompo is the same, but in a city called in a manner and at locations other.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 09:28:40 PM »

El trompo esta girando.  I like that.  I will try to use it at Chipotle tomorrow.

RunBMC......I use "Loco como trompo" a lot and always seem to get a smile from my Chipotle friends.

PS - welcome back!  It is good to have you with us again!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

RunBMC

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 11:13:34 PM »

El trompo esta girando.  I like that.  I will try to use it at Chipotle tomorrow.

RunBMC......I use "Loco como trompo" a lot and always seem to get a smile from my Chipotle friends.

PS - welcome back!  It is good to have you with us again!!!

Thanks! A lot of things have gone in my life and I have matured immensely, but I hope to be able to stay on this board for the many years to come!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 11:38:10 PM »

Welcome back, RunBMC!

Mmm, specific Spanish words for trompo play?  You should know the basic: spinning a top on the ground or the hand is "bailar el trompo" and you also would say that "el trompo baila".  The literal translation would be "to dance the top" and that the "top dances".

Generally the top string is called "cuerda" what literally means rope, but it is used anyway.  Now, in Mexico, "dar cuerda" is to regen the top, and "cuerdas" are regeneration tricks.

I guess the rest of specific names you will have to learn are the names of the tricks, but more than one version exists for many of them and sometimes they are different between Mexico and Spain.

By the way, the world "trompo" is used in all South America. The only Spanish speaking country that uses Peonza is (part of) Spain.  But, ironically, due to the efforts of Trompos Cometa, the word peonza is also used in Slovakia, Hungary, and soon others.

RunBMC

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 06:04:35 PM »

Thanks, that definitely helps! So if I said "trompo" or any other region-specific Spanish word on a Spanish speaking forum (where people are from all over the world) will people still understand what I am saying? Do Mexicans and South Americans have to rephrase how to they speak for people from Spain to understand and vice versa? This is one problem that English speakers generally don't have so it's hard for me to understand.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 07:13:55 PM »

Trompo will be understood everywhere.  My guess is that you will have more trouble understanding them than vice versa. Hey, in Philippines, I am sure because they were a Spanish colony (before being a US colony), they use Trumpo ("u" instead of "o").

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 09:44:44 AM »

I tried out "El trompo esta girando".  I found out yesterday that I have been putting too much "g" in my  girando.  They didn't quite understand what I was saying.  But after a few minutes we were finally on the same page again and it was another good Spanish lesson for me.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:20:09 AM by ta0 »

RunBMC

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 08:20:02 PM »

I tried out "El trompo esta girano".  I found out yesterday that I have been putting too much "g" in my  girando.  They didn't quite understand what I was saying.  But after a few minutes we were finally on the same page again and it was another good Spanish lesson for me.
That's actually quite helpful, thanks!

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 06:17:19 PM »

But, ironically, due to the efforts of Trompos Cometa, the word peonza is also used in Slovakia, Hungary, and soon others.

¿TLACATOTAC?
!ixtelolohtli nikan axkan¡

http://www.tromposuk.com/
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:26:41 PM by ARÀCNOCTAMBULO »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 07:32:12 PM »

Wow!  It is TROMPO in the UK!!! :o  8)

¿TLACATOTAC?
!ixtelolohtli nikan axkan¡
De donde vengo dirían: ¡Que te recontra!  :P

I"ll comment on the site and videos later.  Anyway, congratulations in conquering the British Empire!  :D