iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ? Jupiter roller top  (Read 9085 times)

topper777

? Jupiter roller top
« on: April 12, 2012, 01:53:35 PM »

i got my jupitor roller yesterday. i was a little disappointed because of how light in weight it is. does anyone know of any mods to make it heavier. i need mods that people have actually tried , so i know it works. also, how do you get the tip out as well as the bearing.
  other than the weight, the top is beautiful.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:57:01 PM by ta0 »

Muzico

• Gold Member
Re: ? Jupitor roller top
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 04:38:22 PM »

You can add more weight aluminum putting another ring similar to that came inside.

(Photo of Pulp)

The tip and bearing go together, you can try them out with a thin screwdriver and hammer (very carefully)

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 05:15:40 PM »

Hey Topper--although it's not a mod yet made to the Jupiter (that I'm aware of?), I think Eric's machine bushing (giant steel washer) used to add weight to the BK/RC is what I would do if I was adding weight to a Jupiter Roller.  It would probably have to be a different/bigger size, but they do seem to come in various widths.

here's the thread where we discussed it:
http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,2111.msg21225.html#msg21225

I've played my Jupiter fixed (and Mercurio) like Muzi shows--this is good too, but I think I'd rather have rim weight if possible.

Good luck!
Erratic Wobbler

topper777

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 06:11:48 PM »

thank you for all the suggestions. where can i get another aluminum weight?

topper777

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 06:44:42 PM »

You can add more weight aluminum putting another ring similar to that came inside.

(Photo of Pulp)

The tip and bearing go together, you can try them out with a thin screwdriver and hammer (very carefully)

as far as getting the tip out, do you mean get a small enough screwdriver to fit in the threads at the bottom of the top and hammer downward toward the tip???

Muzico

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 07:08:40 PM »

as far as getting the tip out, do you mean get a small enough screwdriver to fit in the threads at the bottom of the top and hammer downward toward the tip???

Como quitar la punta de un Saturno Roller

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 08:54:58 PM »

Ta0 suggested drilling a hole on a piece of wood (or a workbench) to support the top and allow you to knock the tip out--this has worked great for me!

topper777

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 01:32:49 PM »

i was directed to a website to get the machine bushing washer. unfortinuatlly i could not fully understand how the dimentions work. i have the correct dimentions for the washer but need help. if anyone out there knows of this website or another where i can get the washer for my jupitor roller, i would appreciate the help.
  the website i went to was mcmastercarr.com

Eric

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • Eric's Photo Website
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 04:56:49 PM »

Topper, what are the dimensions for the bushing?  I have a bunch of different sizes and may have what you're looking for...

Also, I (like the rest of you) am dissapointed with the spin time of the Jupiter roller.  A while ago I did a mod where I installed a YYF bearing tip set-up in a Jupiter Roller; Here's the link to the post:  http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,1479.msg15052.html#msg15052
To everything turn, turn, turn..................

topper777

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »

Topper, what are the dimensions for the bushing?  I have a bunch of different sizes and may have what you're looking for...

Also, I (like the rest of you) am dissapointed with the spin time of the Jupiter roller.  A while ago I did a mod where I installed a YYF bearing tip set-up in a Jupiter Roller; Here's the link to the post:  http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,1479.msg15052.html#msg15052
[/quote
the dimentions are ... 1 1/4 "  ID   x  1 7/8  OD   machine bushing , 14 gauge in thickness.
at least that is what i was told.

jochs12

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 01:20:14 PM »

the dimensions are ... 1 1/4 "  ID   x  1 7/8  OD   machine bushing , 14 gauge in thickness. At least that is what i was told.
Actually, the 1 7/8 OD is what works with a Bearing King.  Like Eric said you have to shave the outside down a little bit to actually get it to fit.  Also, there is a seat in the Bearing King body to keep the rubber o ring/bushing level and in place. 

For the Jupiter You would need a 2 1/8 OD (54 mm) bushing.

There is no "seat" in the Jupiter so you would have to make sure that the bushing is fastened (Glue, Tape, etc.) to the body as perpendicular to the spinning plane as possible.  The central threaded rod that runs though the center of the top could be used too.  If you could find a bushing with a 5/32 or 4 mm ID you could support it with two 4 mm nuts (preferably locking) just like the existing adjustable weight is held in place. 
Enjoy taking my tops for a spin

topper777

Re: ? Jupiter roller top
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 03:21:56 PM »

to me it looks like eric has a little more expierence with this than jochs12. eric has many more posts and seems to me to be the person who would know more.
  im getting two conflicting suggestions, i would like it if eric would respond to this and give me his final thoughts and dimentions of the washer. thank to all who are assisting me, it is much appreciated.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 04:12:08 PM »

Jochs comments and measurements are reasonable to me--it makes sense the inside diameter of a BK and a JR would be different.

The fact that there is no "seat" around the perimeter for a washer makes getting the washer to stay the right place seem a bit difficult.  (Of course Eric could simply create one using his lathe 8))

Jochs idea of sandwiching weight(s)/washer(s) between the existing hardware is surely worth a try too.  This has me thinking about cutting a Delrin disc with a hole the middle and tapping it to the same size as the rod...sorry topper, I know you are looking for something proven/easy/reliable, just thinking out loud...

topper777

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 05:24:30 PM »

i had planned on putting the washer above the weight ring and then gently tightening down the top nut, sandwiching the weight and the washer together.