iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: First successful rollercoasters today!  (Read 4060 times)

sixtoe

First successful rollercoasters today!
« on: September 25, 2009, 01:19:39 AM »

Yay! I have been trying for so long and finally looked at Jorge's videos a bit closer and found out you need to lasso it or start from hand with string behind the tip (towards the body). I feel kinda foolish all this time thinking I wasn't gonna be able to learn regens! I have been actually going in the wrong direction against the spin of the top for years now trying to learn. I needed my wife to help me watch the video to understand what was happening. I feel great!

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
Re: First successful rollercoasters today!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 02:55:54 AM »

Allright man!!  I know how you feel!  All of a sudden it all comes together and works and it feels terrific! My grats to you! 

Ed

RunBMC

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 07:24:48 AM »

ive been spin topping for almost a year and i still cant do a regen. trick!
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 09:35:09 AM »

Congrats!

Do Roller coaster to hand pulling hard with the throw hand to jump up, and do it again until the spin dye. In a while the spin will be longer and you'll do more repetitions each time.

When you can do 4-6 reps try to start with lasso and Roller coaster to string. It is important you learn to add more spin when you pull up with your main hand.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »

That's wonderful! Anybody can learn regens if he/she insists long enough. But it takes the right top, the right technique and above all perseverance. Once you learn how to do it you will ask yourself why it took so long but that is the experience of most players. I think with personal one-on-one coaching it can be learned much faster but unfortunately it is difficult to find a neighbor who can do it ::)

I am so happy the tutorial was helpful! On the other hand I wish it had been clearer. Perhaps I should have a closeup of the hand. These tutorials and videos are several years old. Now that I have retired from competition I plan to redo them and add many more. I think I can improve them quite a bit, starting by the fact that I can do the tricks much better than when I originally prepared them.

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 11:42:49 AM »

The difficulty I have in learning tricks from videos is that they are rarely shot from the players perspective.  I have the hardest time trying to reverse the image in my head and it just becomes frustrating to me.  This is why I think there is a huge advantage in playing with others.  I had not made more than 4-5 catches with RCS before a few of the guys at Nationals one year demonstrated what they were doing.  Not all of their examples worked for me but something that did click for me what when someone told me that much of the regeneration comes from the top falling down the string and gaining speed.   If you watch my first videos of me doing RCS I had very little pump but I was still able to keep the top regenerating using just that information.  Eventually I learned to control the top and get regeneration in both directions.  I whole heartedly agree with Ta0, that learning from another player can really speed up the learning process.  Even though I have learned the majority of the tricks I can do before my kids at my school, I am constantly learning from their different styles and learning processes.  Try and teach as many others you know to spin tops, as you will find it's not only more fun, but it's hugely beneficial.

Congrats to you Sixtoe, I dare you not to only want to play RCS from now on :)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »

That a way to go
Mr. Sixtoe
Keep up the good show
And skills will continue to grow!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

physboy2357

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 05:14:15 PM »

Congrats Sixtoe.  For me, it was very frustrating and almost gave up on tops when I first started.  But after I got the boomerang and rollercoasters everything seemed to change.  Not to mention when you get to double digits with RCS...a great feeling.  :D

sixtoe

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 06:56:12 PM »

It really feels interesting in the string to have the top rolling with rather than against my movements.