iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spinning a small top question.  (Read 4247 times)

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
Spinning a small top question.
« on: September 22, 2009, 09:31:47 PM »

I have a small wooden top from the 1950's and I'm having trouble getting it to spin.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Right now I'm trying to use the cord that came with it, which is extremely light.  Should I be looking at heavier cord or should I use the same gauge(?) cord no matter which size top I use?  Do I go by the number of winds?  I've noticed that my larger wood and plastic tops all throw best for me with about 16 to 18 winds.  The same number of winds with a smaller top means a shorter cord.  Does that make a difference.  Feel free to make your explanation as long as you need to. (-:

Ed

sixtoe

Re: Spinning a small top question.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 04:07:05 AM »

What exactly is happening? Is the top not turning over completely? Weak spin? Unraveling? A better description would help me help you.

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 10:18:40 AM »

What exactly is happening? Is the top not turning over completely? Weak spin? Unraveling? A better description would help me help you.

I think that unraveling is the best description.

Ed

sixtoe

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 04:37:54 PM »

I find that if the string is uncoiling during a throw that the wind is not tight enough. Some string is not capable of very tight winds for a few different reasons. Slippery, loose weave, oily, synthetic fibers and too small of a diameter can all cause this. After winding if you can significantly move the wrap by pushing the coil towards the tip your string may not be wound tightly enough or it may be inadequate string. Also, when throwing, if the tip is pointed towards you the string may just uncoil instead of spinning the top. I have a very tiny Duncan keychain top and the string I use to throw it is a yoyo string. If I am not careful it will uncoil. My throw has to be very controlled or the string comes right off.

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 07:04:13 PM »

I have a very tiny Duncan keychain top and the string I use to throw it is a yoyo string. If I am not careful it will uncoil. My throw has to be very controlled or the string comes right off.

Thanks for your help. (-:

I'm trying to use the string that I believe came with it.  This top is of the type that we bought at the local candy store for a nickel in the 1950s', and the string is *extremely* thin.  Are you saying that the length of the string has nothing to do with it and that I should use a 50 to 60 inch string of the type that came with my new Blizzard?

Ed

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 08:25:18 PM »

The length of the string depends on the top, its gauge (thickness) and the style of throw, but NOT on the height of the player like in yo-yo. That was a mistake on the otherwise great To Be A Player video staring our yophosis. 

For the American style of boomerang, tip up, the wrap should reach a height on the side of the top that produces the right lever (with respect to the center of mass) for the top to flip exactly 180 degrees. For example, if the string is too long and gets as high as the center of mass the top will not flip at all. Note that at the start the of the throw the top is spinning slowly and will flip easily. That is the reason the height of the wrap is so important (at least that is my theory.)

You can exchange length with thickness, as a short and thick string will give you the same wrap height than a long and thin string.

Unfortunately, tops can come with the wrong (sometimes very wrong) length of string from the factory. The YYF tops come with too long strings, but you would think most players that buy them are experienced and will realize this.

The Duncan Storm series (Ripcord and Bearing King) came with a string too short and that has frustrated countless players to be. With the short string the lever tends to turn the tip towards the player and the string to unwrap, so you have to throw it smooth and soft. With a longer string you can throw it very hard.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:27:40 PM by ta0 »

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 09:27:17 PM »

Tao

Thanks for the info.  It looks like I'll have to experiment with different throws and strings.

Ed

sixtoe

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 09:44:21 PM »

Jorge is right on the money. Thicker means it can be shorter, thinner longer. The better you get the more you can compensate for string differences by canting your top clockwise or counter clockwise upon release. Experiment and have fun.

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 05:25:23 AM »

In my oppinion BK string are ok in lengt. Not the same with Ripcord. Imperial, Trompo grande and bearing, blizzard and sidewinder have good string in quality and longitude.

Trompo's cometa string is perfect in the big models, but in the small ones as mini-car, azteca and others no, because they placed inside the same string of the big ones.

Every day I play with the kids I spent a lot of time correcting this strings. Only a girl came to me with a correct string, but the rest one was hanging out of the Star-button. I cut it and she plays more easily.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro