iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can I do anything with this Imperial besides keep string in it?  (Read 10633 times)

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
Can I do anything with this Imperial besides keep string in it?
« on: September 21, 2009, 09:01:59 PM »

OK.  I knew that the Duncan Imperial was not going to be great, but I didn't realize that it would be totally useless.  It spins, which means that it does it's job, but that's about it.  The best thing about it is that it's extremely inexpensive, so I don't care if I break it trying a mod.  So, can I improve it in any way?  Like add some weight and/or a metal tip?  Or should I use it for target practice.

Ed

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Can I do anything with this Imperial besides keep string in it?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 09:40:42 PM »

Balance your Imperial.  All you need is some "sticky tack" -that silly-putty like stuff that's for sticking posters to your wall.  This process might be posted somewhere else, but this is what the great Jon Gates taught me years ago:

First, the cap can go on two different ways.  Spin the top with the cap on each way, and determine which is smoother.  MARK IT.  I scratch mine with an exacto knife so I never loose the mark - a line connecting the cap and the bottom.  Take a blob of putty (sticky tack) bigger than a BB and smaller than a pea, and stick it underneath the cap near-ish to the rim.  Spin it.  If it's worse, move the putty to the opposite side, step and repeat until you get the best result.  Next try it with a little more or a little less putty in that same spot until you get the best result.  You'd be surprised how much difference it makes.  It takes some time but it's worth it.

As far as a mod to make it heavier, I'm sure somebody in this forum has come up with a descent mod, but I've always wanted to tape it up, dump a bunch of silicone in the hole in the top and spin it in a drill or something until it dries.  I have a trouble waiting for things to dry, so I've never tried it.

-Chris Neff
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 10:39:13 PM by yophosis »

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 10:39:07 PM »

Dave Bazan said he used to put silly putty in the bottoms to add a little weight.  Havent tried it, but it seemed like a good idea.  Best thing I ever did with one...

Erratic Wobbler

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 10:50:11 PM »

Dave Bazan said he used to put silly putty in the bottoms to add a little weight.  Havent tried it, but it seemed like a good idea.  Best thing I ever did with one...

Here's Dave's gem from the other board.
http://www.topspinning.com/toptalk/viewpost.php?post=11955

I can't wait to go treasure hunting in the Button and String archive when it returns. :)

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 10:53:13 PM »

Thanks Chris.

I got to messing with my Imperial about an hour ago and filled the bottom up to the 2nd ring with "Fun Tack" so I could add more or take it out without problems.  The tack works to give it some heft.  I felt like I was throwing an egg shell before the tack and I couldn't get any accuracy with it.  Now it throws like my "woodie".  It still wobbles a bit though, so I'll try your balancing method and see if I can improve it.

Poptop

That spinner looks pretty cool. LOL  Did you figure out a way to throw it yet.  No, I don't mean out the window. (-:

==========

Wow!  That silly Putty idea sounds like it would work well in any plastic top.  I think that I'll give it a shot.

Ed
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 09:27:26 AM by ta0 »

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 12:53:00 AM »

Simply removing the cap and snapping it in on the opposite sides worked wonders.  With the added weight It throws spins very well now.  I can actually use it! LOL

Another problem is that the plastic tip is already grinding down as I'm spinning the top on concrete or asphalt.  Is there a press in metal tip that I can replace it with?  The plastic tip is easily pushed out.  All I need is a metal tip that will pressure fit into the same size hole.  This may seem like a lot of trouble for a lousy Imperial that can be replaced for about 4 bucks, but I'm learning from this, so the mods and fixes have value.

Ed

sixtoe

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 04:10:29 AM »

I have found that throwing imperials has helped me learn a lighter touch and to work faster to complete tricks. I have a couple of favorites that are well balanced and glued shut that I bought from Bob Rule and they are great.

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 04:24:14 AM »

I have found that throwing imperials has helped me learn a lighter touch and to work faster to complete tricks. I have a couple of favorites that are well balanced and glued shut that I bought from Bob Rule and they are great.

That's true. Big tops as Trompo Grande or King-me are good to star to learn, specially regen tricks but only with the small ones it is possible to get high sensibility.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 01:27:12 PM »

for a good balanced light top, you might look for a duncan "Sir Duncan" on ebay.  Too light for me, but kinda fun for their featherweight feel.

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 01:29:41 PM »

Yeah, you know you've gotten good when you can go through the trick list w/an Imperial.  I remember watching Dave B. and Jon G. last year at Nats, going though the trick list w/an old Spintastics Sidewinder prototype.  Honestly those tops played pretty well (I was lucky enough to snag one  ;D ), but it's still a challenge to do tricks w/a light fixed-tipped top.

I say we start up:  The Imperial Challenge.... everyone goes though the trick list (or perhaps the Spintastics award program trick list) using a NON MODIFIED Imperial (w/the exception of re snapping the lid)   What do you think?

btw, when is Duncan going to come out w/those tops they've been promising us?  I thought we were getting new improved Imperials and some more BKs w/Mark on the package???

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 01:31:35 PM »

re: Imperial Challenge

we could see who could do it the fastest...like the Fast Challenge yo-yo contest...

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 02:01:40 PM »

>btw, when is Duncan going to come out w/those tops they've been promising us?  I thought we were getting new improved Imperials and some more BKs w/Mark on the package???<

Dunno about a new improved Imperial, but see my post about interesting Duncan Bearing King News. (-:

Ed

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 04:24:28 PM »

I say we start up:  The Imperial Challenge.... everyone goes though the trick list (or perhaps the Spintastics award program trick list) using a NON MODIFIED Imperial (w/the exception of re snapping the lid)   What do you think?
That's hardcore!  I'd at least allow balancing w/ a small blob of putty in the cap per the method I described above.  (I'd call it the "Gates Method" but not sure If it already has a name).  I have a couple of polycarbonate Imperials... guessing those wouldn't count  :P

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 05:36:26 PM »

Imperial Challenge.... sound great!

Afortunately, by size and weight I can use the Orion from Trompos Cometa. It is similar and is well balanced and with metal tip.

I am waiting too for the new imperial with its failures fixed.

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 11:27:31 PM »

"polycarbonate Imperials"  are these the older models?  I have a number of these, and they are so much better than the newer ones.

Sorry Pulp, it wouldn't fair if you used a Orion from Trompos Cometa   You have to use the same crappy top as the rest of us   ;D  Don't you have an Imperial?  We'll have to find a way to get one to you.