iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My Worlds rant and links.....  (Read 8626 times)

Eric

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • Eric's Photo Website
My Worlds rant and links.....
« on: August 08, 2011, 07:07:53 PM »

Here is my Worlds 2011 shout out:
Worlds 2011 was a great time with great friends.  For those of you who were there, it was big fun to see you again.  For those of you who weren’t, you really have to try to come in 2012.
Next year we’re adding a Top Mod Contest to go along with the Yo-Yo Mod Contest.  For those who are unfamiliar with this, here’s a link to the Yo-Yo Mod contest rules:   http://worldyoyocontest.com/?q=content/world-yo-yo-contest-mod-contest

Congratulations to Chris Neff, our new World Champion!  I think that it’s really cool that as he will be carrying the title during his INEPTT tour of Europe next year.

Congratulations  to Mike, the new World Top Fixed Axle champ.  As Mike was at the first “Worlds” 20 years ago, I think that it’s particularly appropriate that he won this year.

Congrats to Alex for winning the Top Ladder; he won by a large margin and looked good doing it.

Darren is amazing, and his 20 foot kill shots in battle top on Saturday night were downright scary!

Jorgé, many, many thanks for all you do for our little top throwing world.

Rob, Omar, Kyle, and all the other throwers at Worlds, it was wonderful to hang out with all of you again,  it was a memorable three days……

As promised, I have uploaded a bunch of pictures.  I got many nice shots this year.  The link to the album at my Fotki site is: 
http://public.fotki.com/YoEric/worlds-2011/

Also, I uploaded three videos from Saturday night’s Beer Keg Top Battles, including one shot with my 10.5 mm fisheye lens……..I don’t know how you all will react, but every time I watch them, I start laughing….here are the links:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ericwolff5?feature=mhee#p/u/2/d_QDPJSLl6Y
http://www.youtube.com/user/ericwolff5?feature=mhee#p/u/1/C_FWTFyMWJY
http://www.youtube.com/user/ericwolff5?feature=mhee#p/u/0/3NDnM0G83DQ

That’s all for now….. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 07:11:50 PM by Eric »
To everything turn, turn, turn..................

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
Re: My Worlds rant and links.....
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 07:37:23 PM »

Great photos Eric!
Looks like quite a few of them should be 2011 Photo Contest entries.
Thanks for the videos too.  Loved the "fisheye".
Lots of fun!
 :)

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »

Eric, that's a lot of really good pics! Was there anyone you missed?  Great job, thanks!!

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »

Top Quality!  Great shots especially for a guy who wasn't there!  Thanks!
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 09:53:08 PM »

Thanks so much for the memories Eric.  Hey, I found some 1-1/8" thick stuff for you today...

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 10:18:18 PM »

Great pics and great vids.  Thanks.  You caught me in the position where I spent the most time...sitting and relaxing in a chair.  I tried to pace myself more this year and didn't participate in all the battles and all the activities.  My shoulder did a lot better because of that.

You are right, I did smile when the battle top vidoes were playing.  I am also the proud owner of the mini-keg that was used for those battles.  We will use it at topland in a few weeks.

The guys from Spain have been begging for pictures and videos.  This will make them happy.

Oh, and it just hit me that silvertop was also at the first world's in Montreal.  I remember him very well in his bright red hat!  Did you do much in the way of top workshops there?  I remember Fargo and Burlington workshops more vividly.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 11:28:37 PM »

Great pictures and videos, Eric! Thanks a lot for sharing them. I love the fish eye lens.

Was there anyone you missed?
Yes. I'll post my pictures when I can. My eyes are closing now . . .

trompillo

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 09:22:36 AM »

Thanks for the pictures, must be great being there, a question, the box tops that are numbered, they are really made ??of billiard balls?

Eric

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • Eric's Photo Website
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 10:15:28 AM »

a question, the box tops that are numbered, they are really made ??of billiard balls?

Yes, they are made from pool balls, and most also have Strummol8 ball bearing tips.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 12:07:29 AM »

And here are the new inductees to the Figaro Gallery:

Shootist (Mike)

Austen

Bucsfan (Jared)

Tim Simca (he always joins us for battle)

Here is Eric doing the Sports tricks:

Did anybody take a picture of Charlie Byers or Jordan Sambueno doing the Sports division?  Jordan was second to Apex in the 18+ division and I loved how clean all his tricks looked.

Rick tried to impressed some women with his large green Watts' top. I was impressed by the number on the crown: #15!

This year we finally had medals specific for tops (instead of yo-yo medals):

Greg told me the wings were different size to give it a 3D effect, but that did not work. He wants to make them even better next year  ;D

Lucky made a new display for his giant yo-yo:

You can see in the background the lake where every day he has his famous "open" swims. By the way, I got his new (and first) novel. It is a science fiction story where the main hero is a physician living in Orlando who loves to swim . . . He did change the specialty from dermatologist to internal medcine, so it could be that instead of collecting yo-yos he collects tops, but I doubt it . . .

The first ride we found entering Disney's Animal Kingdom was TriceraTop Spin:

You can see the pump handle behind the sign.  I can now say that I spun on top of a top  :D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:56:18 AM by ta0 »

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 08:28:41 AM »

I love that Watts' Top #15.  It looks like it has been used but still spinning after ?????? years. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 10:09:26 AM »

Thanks for the pictures, must be great being there, a question, the box tops that are numbered, they are really made ??of billiard balls?
In fact, Eric gave a workshop on how to make a top with a pool ball. A number 3 fancy pool ball became a one-way bearing top in about 1 hour and a half!:

The green pool ball was used as target practice by Darren and mysteriously appeared inside Figaro in its bag.  One day I'll make a pool ball out of it, promised!  The mini Sofia is also one of Eric's master works (thanks, thanks, thanks, Eric!!) By the way, next year's Top Modding contest is a fabulous idea.  Many on this board are modding tops or even making them from scratch.  To compete you do not need to travel to worlds, just mail your top.  I expect a lot of entries, some coming from as far as Spain or even Singapore . . .  ;)  8) 8) 8)

This year I brought a larger haul of tops and related items than usually.  I traded Rick for some nice collectibles, including this Chihuahua double tip and the Royal spintop patch:

The Koma dvd I got from Taka. More about it when I finish watching it, but I can already tell you it is worth every yen and more.

Finally, here are some of the trompos I got from pplgrande and a couple of wood strummolos Eric got in Italy:

trompillo

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 04:19:41 PM »

I am amazed, :o :o :o it's amazing what this Hobro done with a billiard ball and clear to say about that I saw in another post, you know if the sell? I would like to make a change that could be interesting, I take my hat to the artist, I would like to compete in your contest moding, but I am at your level ... Not if it means something, traducctor of google sucks.
And the workshop gave the cue ball spin, there are videos or photos or anything to learn?
Thank you very much and congratulations to the artist

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 05:34:56 PM »

I never knew about the Triceratop Spin.  Thanks for sharing that, ta0.

trompillo

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 04:15:35 PM »

Hello Ta0.me like the chihuahua, had never seen before, how do you play with that top?, I liked it so much I made a home, I wonder play.
Thank you very much
this is what I have done with two spins very bad.