iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2011 colombian street games  (Read 3598 times)

johnm

• Ultrahero member
2011 colombian street games
« on: July 16, 2011, 06:34:49 PM »

Found some new videos from the spintop group assembled around the Colombian top maker Don Antonio Dias.

This has a lot of still pictures but also some video of the top maker and his lathe. :)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: 2011 colombian street games
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 02:35:20 AM »

great skills !

the Colombian style of play is so different from the Mexican style !
bigger tops , longer strings , trapeze catch almost compulsory ,body-corkscrews, toss-ups , string tricks using both tips ... etc ..;
they would be highly welcome to Worlds, providing the Rozen have high enough ceilings  :D :D

thanx John

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 09:35:41 AM »

Great finds, John! I agree with Jim, the style is very different and it would be great to see them play in person.  We almost had them coming to worlds a few years ago but the Colombian national champion at the time, Herney Garcia, was denied the visa.

When I first saw this still on another of the videos uploaded by the same guy, I first thought there may be a very slight neck on the tip. But looking closer it may just be the way the light reflects:

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 12:37:31 PM »

When I first saw this still on another of the videos uploaded by the same guy, I first thought there may be a very slight neck on the tip. But looking closer it may just be the way the light reflects:

You are completely correct, here is a still snatched from the youtube video where the top is mounted in the lathe and the tip neck is more visible.

They may have the most diverse set of top traditions with the acrobatics, battle games, and whip tops like the one shown in this still from the same video?

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 05:33:14 PM »

I couldn't help but think of my friend, Jim Schrieber.  He would be so delighted to see where his top has gone.  These guys are fantastic.
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 10:09:25 PM »

You are completely correct, here is a still snatched from the youtube video where the top is mounted in the lathe and the tip neck is more visible.

My Don Antonio's top (thanks MatiasStuntMan!) which was made just last year has no neck at all.  So this may be a new development similar to what johnm also found with the koma tops.  I imagine, the top makers are modifying the traditional spinning tops, somewhat reluctantly, under the pressure of the players . . .