iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: acrobat question  (Read 4058 times)

topper777

acrobat question
« on: December 11, 2010, 09:27:31 AM »

my friend came over yesterday and gave me an early Christmas present. surprised i opened it and low and behold an acrobat was in my hand. i was speechless. i had to give him a man hug because i was extremal happy. my question is there is a long tool for taking the tip and bearing out and when i put it in it is a tight fit. i couldn't get it back out at one point. i had to use a pair of vice grips to grasp the end of the tool while my friend pulled the other way. it finally came out. is this normal? i read the directions but am having a hard time popping out the tips and forget trying to get the bearings out. i tried tapping the top like it said but after a couple of taps i found myself banging it on the table because it was stuck. what should i do?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: acrobat question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »

The "tap gently on table" did not work for me either, so I had to use a mallet. However, the BangStick (sic) never got stuck in the top. Be careful: after I took out and put back the tip a few times, the spinning time was not as good as new. These tops can be converted from bearing to fixed tip but, as it is the case with most other convertible tops (BK, S8) it is a chore and it is better to have different tops. 

topper777

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 07:09:43 PM »

thanks jorge. i dont like fixed play as it is, so i will just leave it bearing. just the way i like it!!!

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 12:06:31 AM »

On this Acrobat topic, I had a very hard time taking the bearings out too, I just had to try it on fixed tip :D
Anyway, I ended up messing up one of them, not only do I not like the way the fixed tip plays, in my opinion it wirewalks way to fast and on regens I like the weight but the point...... :(, when I put it back together I could defenetly feel the difference on the speed and balance
So im now playing with only one bearing witch is really not bad at all :)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 09:55:39 AM »

So I am now playing with only one bearing witch is really not bad at all :)
Yohans had told me that he regretted putting two bearings on the tops, that one bearing would have been enough and probably given even longer spin times. So I tried it for the corkscrew challenge but I ended up with at top that was spinning slightly less  >:(

topper777

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 11:49:50 AM »

i have only taken the bearings out once. i think i will leave them alone untill it is time to switch them for new ones.

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 11:08:53 PM »

That is very interesting ta0
The difference that I found is the spintop is alot louder with only one bearing, and as for the speed, I feel the same no gain no lost, given that is only one bearing in there im very happy with the way this Acrobat plays

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 12:36:07 PM »

My A'bat bearing got a lot louder when I changet tips.  Seems a little "crunchy" now too.

I tried cleaning, but it's still not as smooth as it was stock.

Someday I'm going to try those ceramic bearings...someday.
Erratic Wobbler

Dizzy

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 11:46:18 PM »

pop-

I have some bearings that have gone "crunchy" as well.  That's an excellent description btw :)

Sometimes cleaning has helped but sometimes not.  Every once in awhile it makes it worse. >:(

I don't know why this is.  It seems that we don't get them clean enough and somehow leave some particulates behind. 

I can't figure out if the crunch is caused by foreign particles intruding into the bearing or if the bearing itself is shedding material from wear.  Also I don't own a YYF top so I don't know how well-protected the bearing is from foreign debris on those guys.  Either way, I do a very thorough cleaning when a bearing gets rough, complete with soaking, shaking, and flushing.  Usually it helps a lot but again, not always. 

Do you suspect that ceramic bearings are more resistant to this "crunch" syndrome?

Or would a shielded bearing help keep out grit?  I know they make sealed bearings but those are not really cleanable and they are not as free-spinning as we would want to my knowledge.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 11:48:30 PM by Dizzy »

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 12:55:18 PM »

I'm not sure if ceramic bearings are any more resistant, but I would think they would be less prone to corroding?

The other think I would love to have is one of those "plastic" bearings that HSPIN is using--they are so quiet!  But I haven't seen them in the smaller size yet...

http://www.hspin.com/webpage/?q=node/2182