iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can you identify this?  (Read 3034 times)

oyoyoy

Can you identify this?
« on: September 15, 2010, 01:26:26 AM »

First of all I want to say a formal hello to everyone. I'm new to the forum and to spintops. Everyone here has been incredibly nice. Shout out to yocephus for helping a newbie get set up with a buncha tops!

So, I was browsing flickr today and came upon this photo of a top with this ring on the top. It gave me a flashback back to when I was a kid and owned something similar, but could not for the life of me figure out how to use that ring. Can someone clue me in?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:11:58 AM by ta0 »

Tomymoonly

• Gold Member
Re: Can you identify this?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:17:27 AM »

it is a launcher... just put the string all arround the axle in the ring... then hold the ring and pull of the string... it ll do as a launcher and then ur spintop turn like a giroscope and the ring is like a bearing tip ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:10:21 AM »

I am pretty sure that is a traditional top from Turkey like this one:

Sebastián del Pino gave me one and I have also seen them on Ebay. Mine has the wood body stained pink and the vertical glossy paper stripes are gold on the upper part and blue on the bottom. Spinning it looks almost identical to the one you found. However, mine will last only a couple of seconds spinning upside down so the swivel on that one probably is less flat on the spintop side and therefore has less friction.

The ring looks like a self winding launcher on other tops but it is not. It is just a swivel that lets the top spin while it is still attached to the string. You wind it as a normal top with the string around the body from the tip up.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:14:13 AM by ta0 »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:31:13 AM »

Never seen one of those before, cool!

Welcome to the board oyoyoy!

oyoyoy

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 11:05:45 AM »