iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Diabolo Entertainer Wins a Court Battle over Street Performing  (Read 2385 times)

Zeemo

• Gold Member
  • Zeemo The Magnificent
    • Zeemo Production
Diabolo Entertainer Wins a Court Battle over Street Performing
« on: September 09, 2010, 08:45:19 AM »

If you have ever been hassled for street performing here is some good news.
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/news/343467,hong-kong-street-entertainers.html
I have always thought that having good street performers is an asset to a community instead of a crime.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Diabolo Entertainer Wins a Court Battle over Street Performing
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 10:34:56 AM »

Good find, Zeemo.  I thought it was interesting that this guy was 50!

I agree wholeheartedly about street performers as an asset to a community.  Our historical downtown has struggled through the years and at one point I was considering approaching the city about a street performing contest or day or event of some kind.  I know they can be a big draw in some areas.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 11:59:53 AM »

Victory!  How do you find this stuff, Zeems?

Zeemo

• Gold Member
  • Zeemo The Magnificent
    • Zeemo Production
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 09:04:03 AM »

First off, yes there are a lot of cities that embrace this type of art form.  Major cities across Canada like Halifax, Toronto and Edmonton hold annual busker festivals.  In the U. S. you can find buskers daily in Baltimore, San Francisco and Key West.  In all of these venues you must audition or apply to perform.  In Europe performers stake their claim to an area and try to perform until they are exhausted and leave.  Unfortunately, if you set up on the fly and try to perform in most spots, the constables or coppers may try to run you off.  It is a lot of fun though to pick a spot and start performing and gather a crowd that will watch you for 30 minutes and then give you a bunch of money.  Diabolos are a great prop to perform with and many acts use them because the high toss is a good way to attract a crowd and can be seen from far away.
     Regarding where I find stuff...try the Google News Search gadget and type in busker or street performer or spin top, etc.