iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wire walker with one way bearing?  (Read 555 times)

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Wire walker with one way bearing?
« on: January 25, 2024, 03:02:11 PM »

At Marines, in about two weeks, I want Maurizio to put an OWB into one of my Strummol8 tops.
I am curios what it will do for me.
As I read, and of course that makes sense to me, wirewalkers and elevators and such won't work with the one way bearing.
But since I am left handed I was thinking that probably Maurizio has to install something the other way around so that it would work for me.
And then I thought a bit  more and now I suspect that there might be a possibility to do a wirewalker with an OWB after all:  Set the bearing up for regular right handed play, but then spin the top the other way by throwing it with the left hand (edit: or instead just wind the string the other direction and still throw with the right hand, it can be done). Should it not be possible to do a wirewalker now? I lose the possibility to regenerate, but only until I spin it the other direction the next time.
So what do you experts think?
I think
- I am either overlooking something quite obvious why that can't work and I will feel stupid once you tell me, or
- that is common knowledge and you will point me to about three videos here in the forum that show just what I described here
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 03:19:00 AM by ortwin »

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Wire walker with One way bearing?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 07:00:55 PM »

Well, I just did my first ever wire walker using a one-way bearing top  ;)

I don't think we have ever discussed that possibility, but now that you mention it, it's obviously the case.

To change the top from right-handed to left-handed you just need to install the one-way-bearing in the opposite direction.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Wire walker with one way bearing?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 02:09:14 AM »

Really? I thought of something that is new and that is working??

Now what is needed, is an elegant way to change the top's spin from one direction to the other without rewinding during a routine.  A snap start comes to mind, or the corkscrew that Texture shows here (starting at 10 seconds).

edit: @Texture: actually Marcus, could you please post a video for us where you use a top with an OWB doing staircase to heaven ending in that position at 10 seconds in the linked video? - and then continuing with the corkscrew, some regeneration, mach5 and a gyro flop?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 07:02:57 AM by ortwin »

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 06:56:27 PM »

edit: @Texture: actually Marcus, could you please post a video for us where you use a top with an OWB doing staircase to heaven ending in that position at 10 seconds in the linked video? - and then continuing with the corkscrew, some regeneration, mach5 and a gyro flop?

Unfortunately I’ve been caught slacking…. I don’t have a one way bearing top yet!  :-[

I’ve been meaning to order one for a long time now and this might be my excuse  :D

Once I receive it I will 100% attempt to record what you described.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 11:29:41 AM »

Once I receive it I will 100% attempt to record what you described.

What did you order? Some Strummol8? Only an OWB? ...

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2024, 10:33:35 AM »

What did you order? Some Strummol8? Only an OWB? ...

Just the bearing for now. I’m a little short on cash at the moment  :P
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 01:27:41 PM by ta0 »

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2024, 01:18:55 PM »

Just the bearing for now. I’m a little short on cash at the moment  :P
Hm, someone with your skill and track record should have a sponsor for some of his spinning equipment. I'll ask Maurizio in Marines what he thinks about that.