iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Greetings to Don Olney on his 75th birthday  (Read 982 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Greetings to Don Olney on his 75th birthday
« on: October 15, 2020, 06:27:05 AM »

October 15th....the day Don turned 75.  Congrats, buddy!!!  The inventor of so many things in the top world, especially the penny top and the x tip which was stronger for Captain Crunch cereal boxes.  He found ways to mass produce tops that sent them all around the US and the world.  He came up with top games including my favorite, the top golf maze.  He wrote two books about tops and created a number of top kits that included multiple spinners.  He was involved with the development and production of the Monark top.  He also was the first to make a number of large plastic tops.  He promoted tops like no other and found ways to get top spinners together for gatherings and the sharing of ideas.  What have I missed?  Happy birthday, Don.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 06:30:25 AM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Greetings to Don Olney on his 75th birthday
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 10:31:33 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DON!

Don is one of the 2 Honor life members of ITSA (the other one is Dale). Here is the write up I made when I nominated nominated him:
According to Don (1), he got his first top, a pump top (without foot) for his third birthday from his aunt. He still remembers after all these years the difficulty of getting the top going without letting the tip slip  ;D

But his true story starts in 1972 when he was manufacturing wooden toys for a living and crafted his first finger tops from a wheel and a dowel made pointy with a battery operated pencil sharpener  :D

A few years later the breakout came when he became fascinated with tippe tops, which he called flipovers. After an year of experimentation he had a design that worked well. It was a commercial success and sold millions  :o

Trying to reproduce the success of the flipovers he starts to make all kinds of finger tops and eventually peg tops to complete the line. His great creativity resulted in a huge variety of designs, like the Penny top, and games around them.

A visit to the collection of Judith Shultz got him the collecting bug and he ended up assembling a collection of thousands of tops.

Based on his research of the top history he wrote two books about tops: The Tops Book (Games, Tricks, and New Twists on an Old Favorite) and The Little Book of Tops (Tricks, Lore, and More).

But I have not yet touched his biggest contributions to top playing. Two things happened in the early 90s.

Don bough half of the rights on the Monarc top (2) that had been sitting for 20 years and began to make them again. The (now Monarch) top was the only decent tricking top available in the 90s (well, Herman Lau would say the Duncan Imperial was good  ::) ).

In August 1991 he gave a workshop on top spinning at the 1991 International Juggling Festival. He also distributed 600 pegtops to all the attendees. The workshops at the IJA in the following years created a new generation of players, like Mark Hayward, Jon Gates and Mike Hout, and were the seed to the modern scene.

Alan Gray wrote that he got inspired to turn his first top because the extra tip that came with his first top, a Monarch. Hey, my first throw top was also a Monarch and I learned to wrap it and throw it from the paper strip with instruction that came with it  ;D

Thanks, Don!

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 10:49:26 AM »

Felicidades don

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 11:23:38 AM »

Happy B'Day and MANY, Many more !!!!
Practice hard and play safe.

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 01:21:01 PM »

Happy birthday Don!!!   :)  Hope you have a wonderful day.

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 02:39:57 PM »

Happy Birthday Don!  You've had an amazing life.
If its worth doing.....its worth overdoing

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 06:15:52 PM »

Toycrafter top set with included Little Book of Tops by one Don Olney on the left. The book is a delight. Note bookmark.

On the right is aToycrafter top maze better seen below. All were gifts from Larry D.

The efficient black finger top included with the maze is one of my favorites. Here it is next to a strongly flipping yellow Toycrafter tippe top...

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 06:32:37 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 01:54:58 AM »

happy birthday Don !

jim

PS : I have the" little book" in French !

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 10:07:40 AM »

Happy Birthday Don.  Though we have never met, your top work has a happy influence on our family.