iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: One handed lasso and one handed trapeze  (Read 1659 times)

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
One handed lasso and one handed trapeze
« on: September 16, 2020, 11:53:07 PM »

I've been working on the sports division tricks, and I can do them all in order except for the one handed trapeze (I have landed it occassionally) and the one handed lasso.
With the one handed trapeze, I sort-of know what to do, but I'm not entirely certain I'm doing it correctly. With the one handed lasso, I'm totally lost. The few videos out there on the internet don't give instruction, so I'm really not sure what to do.  :'( Can anybody on this forum give me any help? If you could I would highly appreciate it.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: One handed lasso and one handed trapeze
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 09:55:19 AM »

Wow! I'm not expecting anybody to do the full ladder! I would be very impressed!

One handed tricks were popular in the early 2000s. The list probably has too many of them (3) and we should one day replace them and only leave the one-handed lasso.

The main trick is to wrap the string around the index finger before you throw it, so the string exits the finger away from the hand (of course, don't let it unwrap on the throw). That gives you a bigger opening to fit the tip.

For the trapeze, I rotate the direction the tip is pointing when I release it, as it would be difficult to catch with the tip pointing away. I point it towards my non-throwing hand so it comes back pointing towards my right hand, where I catch it between the index finger and the thumb.

For the lasso, I find that I have more success if the hand intercepts the top while moving with a down slope, what is a little counter intuitive.
By the way, it's possible to do a one-hand lasso by doing a mini ghost-catch instead. This is the trick where you give the string enough momentum to create a loop that you grasp with your hand. This is more difficult to do if you are doing the trick from a throw, but more natural if you do it in the middle of a routine.

Even if you can do every trick by itself, doing them all in one take, even with 2 misses, is a great challenge. And that without considering that last trick, target to a bottle cap  >:D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 09:57:23 AM by ta0 »

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 01:58:11 PM »

Alright! Thanks for the advice, I can do both tricks without trouble. Now I just need to work on the one behind the back...  :-X

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 04:08:10 AM »

Wow! I'm not expecting anybody to do the full ladder! I would be very impressed!

Wow²!
You should now definetly try to mix these in a freestyle don't you?

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 02:52:44 PM »

Sure! I can freestyle now.  8)