iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Schreiber Special/ regeneration yip yap...  (Read 2474 times)

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
Schreiber Special/ regeneration yip yap...
« on: March 07, 2010, 10:30:01 AM »

Thanks for the additional comments--it is obvious you really appreciated Mr. Schreiber for his kindness and his top skills.

Seems a good possibility these two regeneration moves are what have been termed "yapping" and "jerking" by the Chicago players?  Which is which though?  Anyone know?

Maybee Mark Magyar could ask Mr. Paulson these questions as well?

This is the illustration describing the Schreiber Special from the Monarc trick book. One of the regenerations mentioned in the Monarc trick book is the Drumbeat. The other is the Schreiber Special. The Roller Coaster isn't mentioned even though Don Winters and others I think were doing the Roller Coaster at that time when the Monarc trick book came out. I'm still trying to figure out the regeneration trick Schreiber does from watching his video. It looks kind of like a one handed Roller Coaster not leaving the string gliding back to your hand.
 I'm about to send Mr. Dwight Paulson an email about the questions mentioned.

Until Then,
_Mark Magyar

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Schreiber Special/ regeneration yip yap...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 10:41:45 AM »

Thanks for posting that description. Perhaps it is something similar to a rollercoaster-to-hand?

The one he does on the video seems to me similar to drumbeat with with just one slow pump (actually more like a preparation for the next throw). I will try to post a clip in the next few days.

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
Re: Schreiber Special/ regeneration yip yap...
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 01:50:47 PM »

Received the following from Dwight Paulson earlier today:

Mark,

Ah, once I could do it....  It is probably the hardest trick I know. Don Winters had to film Schreiber doing it and review it in slow motion to learn how it was done as Jim couldn't explain it himself--he just did it!    As the top is rolled off your hand and down the string you must bring the inside string over the top  (the strings are still around the point) for one to be able to draw it up using the friction to pump the top-- as you know about the Drum Beat trick. (That is the part Don discovered the cross-over at the point as shown in our Handbook.)   That motion pumps and pulls the top up in the air free of your hand and ready to land and be pumped again.  There is no easy way to explain or even show it---  it is pure practice.  But if you can learn to do it once, then you can go on to keep up the rotation.  Schreiber claimed to have done it a thousand times as a kid and made him late for school-- he was the master of it!  Only at the heights of my top spinning was I able to keep it going. I can do it a couple of times now, but I lose momentum. Also it is not a great show trick so I never worked hard at keeping  it up-- it is a kind of master trick to be appeciated by true top spinners.

Happy Spinning,

Dwight