iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wobble Wobble  (Read 2847 times)

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
Wobble Wobble
« on: March 05, 2010, 10:20:21 AM »

Is vibration in an unbalanced top a high frequency wobble? Something else?  What's the difference? 

It seems in yo-yo's folks make a distinction; Some spin "dead" smooth, often you can feel a "vibe", and occasionally I've seen a wobble.

Anyone know how those tire balancing machines work?  How cool would it be if we could simply spin our tops in a machine and find out where and how much weight to add to achieve perfect balance? 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:26:18 AM by poptop »
Erratic Wobbler

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Wobble Wobble
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 11:31:24 AM »

I'm not sure, I just know I don't like it.  I've had a few tops that spun pretty smooth, but the tip burned my hand, without noticeable burrs or an extra sharp point.  My theory is those tops are balanced by weight but the axis of the tip is slightly off.

Did some google searchin' and it looks like the simplest version is to put a wheel on a near frictionless axis and the heaviest point will rest at the bottom, add ya add weight until it is "static"
Now apply to tops... hmmm...

http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/products/products.cfm?categoryID=1112

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 01:38:31 PM »

Static balancing is basically how Philippe L. balances his finger tops. He stands the top on a mirror but at an angle while he holds the axle on his nails (for low friction). He then drills a hole on the side that rotates to the lower position. He repeats this until the finger top has no preferential "down" sector.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 03:13:47 PM »

I thought about trying to rig a static balancing jig by setting up a horizontally oriented axle attached to a bearing.  After removing the tip, one could mount the top to this by attaching the top body to the bearing/axle setup.  The top could spin horizontally and allow gravity to find the heaiesty spot.