iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Boomerang spin top practice ! Succes!  (Read 9018 times)

Hydrona

Re: Boomerang spin top practice ! Succes!
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2022, 07:09:45 AM »

Hi folks!
With spring officially here, I'm back into making videos outside. And today is a great day here in Belgium. It's sunny, 17 degrees Celsius.
Today I'm going to try to spin a top in my forest ;D! Maybe doing a trick like wirewalker. I finally can do it!
But when I try to get it on camera, I fail...
I sure post a video later. (if I succeed that is.)
Have a great day everyone!
We live - on a spinning planet in a world of spin .

-Christopher Buckley -

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2022, 08:17:54 AM »

Have fun in the woods, but please don't scare little Red Riding Hood !

I am also trying to do a wirewalker these days. But I can't do it yet even without camera.It runs across the string, but then it just bumps into my second hand or it doesn't spin fast enough any longer.
I believe it could be a thing of applying just enough tension and then releasing it at just the correct moment. As usual, I could not find a real tutorial on this trick. Only a lot of videos where people show that they can do it. Maybe you could share your learning experience of this trick in a few sentences.

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

Hydrona

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2022, 10:10:01 AM »

Have fun in the woods, but please don't scare little Red Riding Hood !

I am also trying to do a wirewalker these days. But I can't do it yet even without camera.It runs across the string, but then it just bumps into my second hand or it doesn't spin fast enough any longer.
I believe it could be a thing of applying just enough tension and then releasing it at just the correct moment. As usual, I could not find a real tutorial on this trick. Only a lot of videos where people show that they can do it. Maybe you could share your learning experience of this trick in a few sentences.

Hi ortwin,
First of all, LOL! ;D
Thank you! For practice tips, I cannot help you enough, but others can!
I figured out wire walker was tricky. Especially when you are left handed... There are not that many videos on how to do tricks for left handed players. I'm still trying to get it right.
I learned to throw a strong boomerang, and then 'lasso' or 'throw' the string around the spinning top. I think I did it counterclockwise, but I'm not sure. Just guessing sometimes!
To be sure the string catches on the top, I wrap it multiple times around. But that's just me..
It's still difficult to catch it in the other hand, especially when it comes with such a speed!
I never am prepared enough! 
Good luck to you!
I'm uploading the video  :)

Hydrona

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2022, 10:24:59 AM »

I added a little slow motion effect too. Most of my videos have that effect.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2022, 11:59:12 AM »

I believe it could be a thing of applying just enough tension and then releasing it at just the correct moment.
That's exactly correct. After the top has acquired enough speed, you can release some of the tension and use the string to guide (and support) the top more than to propel it.

To be sure the string catches on the top, I wrap it multiple times around. But that's just me..
I would have thought that more than one wrap would not work, but I just tried 2 and 3 wraps and worked surprisingly well, even though you could hear the string friction with itself. You made me try something new!  :) The problem I see with doing this is that after it lands on the other hand, the tip is more difficult to free from the string to continue playing.

The diameter of the tip neck is the principal factor determining how fast the top walks. A thick neck will make the to ran very fast. With a thin neck it will walk slower, what makes landing the top on the other hand easier. But if the neck is too thin it may stall and not get to the other side.

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2022, 01:20:40 PM »

Have you tried doing wirewalker from your right hand to the left? I learned how to this first, and I always thought it was a bit easier.  8)

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2022, 05:48:26 PM »

... Especially when you are left handed... There are not that many videos on how to do tricks for left handed players. .... 
....'throw' the string around the spinning top. I think I did it counterclockwise, ...

....It's still difficult to catch it in the other hand,

Only by this post of yours I realized that you are also left handed as I am (with throw tops at least). Videos for right handed players are okay, one can watch them in the mirror. Sometimes verbal hints would help in addition to the pure videos, there are things that can't be seen easily, like the tension you apply to the string.
Yes, counterclockwise is correct for the top to travel from the left hand to the right hand for us lefties - otherwise the top would want to go the other direction.

To catch it in the right hand works some of the times for me, but that is not the goal, it should actually spin on the palm.
 Cool video by the way!

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2022, 06:01:06 PM »

Have you tried doing wirewalker from your right hand to the left? I learned how to this first, and I always thought it was a bit easier.  8)

Hm, since I throw and catch the boomerang with my left hand....
Do you realize that Hydrona and me are lefties when it comes to throw tops? Would your suggestion apply in this case?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2022, 07:16:55 PM »

Yes, counterclockwise is correct for the top to travel from the left hand to the right hand for us lefties - otherwise the top would want to go the other direction.
And it's also correct to travel from right to left hand.  :o
For right-handed people wrapping clockwise will make it travel in either direction.
This surprised me the first time I realized it.

Do you realize that Hydrona and me are lefties when it comes to throw tops? Would your suggestion apply in this case?
No, it's easier to go from throw hand to non-throw hand. The reason is that you end up on the side of the free string end.

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2022, 10:23:31 PM »

I'm sorry, I forgot you were left-handed. I should have said, wirewalker from throw hand to non throw hand.  :-X

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2022, 11:10:28 PM »

Duncan Ripcords are great over hand fighting top.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2022, 10:05:09 AM »

I had forgotten about that video, Cecil. Thanks.

It's a good demonstration of the killer throw. It also shows the relation between string wrap height and flipping of the top: if the string wrap goes all the way up to the center of mass of the top, it won't flip and you can throw tip down.

Armando (elprofedeltrompo)

• ITSA
    • https://www.youtube.com/@Elprofedeltrompo
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2022, 07:29:33 PM »

Que lindo fondo, el bosque.  me gustò tu video,  creo que con una sola vuelta se puede hacer este truco y funciona con muchos tipos de trompo,  me encanta el efecto de camara lenta, también lo uso mucho.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 11:57:16 PM by ta0 »

Hydrona

« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2022, 12:07:59 PM »

Que lindo fondo, el bosque.  me gustò tu video,  creo que con una sola vuelta se puede hacer este truco y funciona con muchos tipos de trompo,  me encanta el efecto de camara lenta, también lo uso mucho.

Thank you!
I know one day I master this trick.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2022, 09:42:54 PM »

Wire Walker videos.  The Cometa videos are pretty good.  The older ones (less flashy style) always have a slow motion view.
Also Cometa tops are great for wire walking tricks.

Pay attention to the catching hand position the string is held above the palm and the had=nd is rotated under the top at the last moment.
Perhaps this should be in a new thread ??

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up