iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: spinning tops and general relativity  (Read 3436 times)

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
spinning tops and general relativity
« on: February 26, 2010, 07:32:40 AM »

alright physicists, this is probably old news to you, but i found the article interesting...it mentioned tops.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-First-Test-That-Proves-General-Theory-of-Relativity-Wrong-20259.shtml

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
Re: spinning tops and general relativity
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »

Thanks! I'm fascinating by gravity waves detection....

A spinning spin top weights more than an stopped one.... mmm, that's explain certain failures training tricks...  ;D
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:13:55 AM »

Mmm, that would be spectacular and an incredible breakthrough, if true. But as much I want to believe I am messing with gravity when I spin a top, it is unlikely. The worldwide LIGO observatories have been trying to detect gravity waves for about a decade, to no avail.  One hundred million trillion times larger than expected is not a little thing.

As a student I worked in a lab three doors from the first team that "corroborated" cold fusion . . .

Anyway, now I want to throw a top and laugh at Newton and Einstein  ;D

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 08:50:56 PM »

It's risky to believe these types of 'reports' (particularly on the web) when they do not reference articles in peer reviewed journals.  Note the report is from 2006 and although an article by those researchers reporting their result can be found on the web and suggests that it was submitted to Physica C (a reputable peer reviewed journal) in 2006, the report seems to have never been accepted for publication in that journal.  I'm not saying their result is wrong or right but the 'community' in general seems to not accept it--it is very tough to challenge Einstein. ;)

A more reliable report that mentions tops is this one which references a published article in NATURE which is generally accepted as the best journal in which to publish ones research from any of the hard (natural) sciences.
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/40620

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 09:05:29 PM »

interesting article, johnm. of course i realize that most of these so-called breakthkroughs are usually highly sensationalized and even this particular one was over 3 years old. i knew i could rely on you for your expert opinion.