iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Figaro going to India!  (Read 5191 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: Figaro going to India!
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2019, 01:05:56 AM »

This is all in slow motion, so you may want to watch it at 2X...

Looks like they invited the right guy. And all the better in slo mo.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2019, 10:40:38 PM »

Yesterday I did a demo for the company that my host in Bagalore manages and I was offered to do another one for the neighborhood tomorrow.

Although India feels surprisingly safe (except for the traffic), even walking beside slums, I generally didn't carry a top with me, so I have few photos with one. But after finding some rope walkers in the streets of Pune I went back to see if I could get a photo with a top on the head. I had my missgivings, as this is child labor, but at least they seemed to be working for their families (at least I hope). The highlight of the routine is swinging side to side very fast with the vase on the head, while walking on the inner part of a wheel rim. I asked two different performers (actually the person on the ground), suggesting that there would be a good tip, but they declined, so I didn't insist. I imagine they were doing a killing anyway, as it was the middle of the Ganesh(a) festival.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:18:39 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2019, 06:23:11 AM »

I think this "top restaurant" sees more monkeys than tops  ;D

The monkeys come from an adjacent 1000 year-old temple dedicated to Nandi, the bull that serves as messenger of Lord Shiva. In Satara I had attended a Hindu ceremony in a temple dedicated to the dancing Shiva, Nataraja. It has carvings for the 108 dancing poses. But it occurs to me that with 4 arms, Shiva would be very good at tops too.

In Pune I found the last day a Muslim  Sufi meditation center where, for a fee, I could have become for a day a Dervish: a human spinning top! A missed opportunity!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 07:59:30 AM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2019, 02:29:13 PM »

Shiva lives the dream of every person who is intersted in multiple spinners.  Shiva might also give Mark Hayward a run for his money on the "most tops spun at one time" record.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2019, 01:13:46 AM »

Here is my spinning of Sandeep's Daxi giant top, the "easy" way:

I tried once to do a lift-and-drop start, but I ended up rolling on the ground and feeling pain in the arm I had injured a few days before, so I didn't try again.

One thing that I lament is that I didn't have the opportunity of playing tops with the kids and adults during the festival. Before my show they were playing in the rain, and after my show it was all selfies and placing tops in the fingers and head. But a man who waited patiently could finally show me his snap start. When I asked to film it, everybody paid attention, that's why the applause:

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2019, 11:43:31 AM »

Good job with that big top.  I have yet to try one of those.

Two hand snap start!  Very nice.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2019, 12:02:11 PM »

Sandeep with Figaro in his man-cave:

The entrance to the lot in front of his house and clinic, where he is trying to develop a "soil games" park:

There are several murals in the park with traditional games, including one for tops, of course: