iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: this day in (sports) top spinning  (Read 14588 times)

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: this day in (sports) top spinning
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2013, 11:56:56 AM »

-Don Olney leads one of a series of IJA top spinning workshops.  Joe Hout and Mike Hout
   learn how to throw at one of these workshops in Burlington, Vermont - August 11, 1994

'Juggle till the Cows Come Home' - I still have that t-shirt. I was at those workshops also.   :) :)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2013, 02:29:01 PM »

Were you?  Really???  That is hilarious.  Sadly, those t-shirts are long since gone from our household.  I wouldn't mind having one around now as a good memory.  But I did get a good memory from Don Olney and his collection.......a Watts Top that he made with Burlington 1994 IJA fest on it.  It is a low number, too - like #16, I believe.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2014, 06:25:48 PM »

Arghh!  I see we just missed the 20th anniversary of the release of the movie "My Summer Story".  Yet, we only missed it by a couple of days.  This movie was inspirational for us in Miamisburg and spurred us to try to have more youth battles at our annual festival.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2019, 08:50:53 PM »

Judith Schulz confirmed that the Top Museum started in May of 1987.  Interestingly enough, it was supposed to only be a one month activity.  It was to coincide with other activities in the town especially with the chocolate festival.  Yet after 30 days, people kept asking about it so they stayed open another month.  People were still asking so they stayed open another month.  And another month.  And another month.  Anyway, you get the idea.  The Top Museum has continued on for 30 some years......but right now they are struggling with some water problems and many of the tops are boxed and put away.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2019, 10:43:20 AM »

How about this?  The 25th anniversary of the release of the movie "My Summer Story" is this September, the 23rd!!!  Seems like we could have some fun with this at worlds and at the Miamisburg fest.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2019, 02:11:04 PM »

The April date of the publication of that infamous 1967 Playboy with the Jean Shepherd Murderous Mariah top story should be on this list.  While looking through old posts I saw a touching entry from Lourens about the publication of his book on March 22nd of 2011.

One other note, in just a few days we can celebrate the birthday of the famous top preacher Jim Schreiber!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2019, 05:13:08 PM »

The April date of the publication of that infamous 1967 Playboy with the Jean Shepherd Murderous Mariah top story should be on this list. 
That's the only Playboy magazine that I own.  :D

One other note, in just a few days we can celebrate the birthday of the famous top preacher Jim Schreiber!!!
I am learning German (using the Duolingo app) and now I known that "Schreiber" means "Writer." He no doubt wrote a big chapter in the history of top spinning!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2019, 11:53:10 AM »

I spent way too much time this weekend watching football and thinking about that secondary sport.  I am going back to this post so I can spend more time with this primary sport of top spinning.  I see I just missed the anniversary of the movie "My Summer Story" in 1994.  Maybe we can still celebrate that 25th anniversary?  The papers are full of stuff about the 25th of the movie Forrest Gump and the TV series Friends.  I don't know how they missed My Summer Story?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2019, 10:21:34 PM »

I called Judith and we had a good conversation.  The 25th anniversary of the movie "My Summer Story" snuck up on her, too.  She said it just seems like a few years ago when they made the movie, not 25 years!!!  She has lots of good memories of making the film.  I suggested we have nationals up there sometime and she said they do have places/gyms where we could spin and where we could compete.  She hopes to have the top side of the museum opened soon.  She has not really been in touch with anyone else on the film and wonders if any of them know it has been 25 years.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2019, 10:24:20 PM »

I suggested we have nationals up there sometime and she said they do have places/gyms where we could spin and where we could compete.  She hopes to have the top side of the museum opened soon.
Interesting . . .