iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tips and base 2  (Read 1959 times)

James

• Check out my youtube channel: HiPer Spinning Tops
Tips and base 2
« on: March 26, 2018, 09:46:52 PM »

Hi,

I have been working on tips and the base of my next top recently. I have made 2 devices. One for a conical tungsten carbide and the other for a small, round, ruby bearing ball.

This is made of aluminium. The thicker cylinder at the top would go inside the spinning top. The thinner section can be slightly bent to adjust the tip's position when balancing. 3mm and 4.5mm holes are drilled through the bottom. These are sanded carefully until the ruby will stay inside. The ruby can be easily removed by pressing bluetack against it and then removing it. This means the ruby can be taken out or replaced with other kinds of balls.

upload image from url

These two show my new brass holster for my tungsten carbide tip. The carbide is sharpened and put into a drilled out bolt. The brass casing is made by drilling a 5mm hole almost to the end and tapping it. Then a small part of the front is cut off. This makes a nut which can tighten the carbide bolt and secure it in different places. This makes the height of the tip adjustable.

This is a new base I am working on. The cylinder and sloped cone are made of aluminium and polished to a mirror finish. The top concave surface is tungsten carbide. It is what the top will be spinning on. The carbide is 8mm wide and was made concave with 10mm diamond balls. It was then polished perfectly smooth with sand paper and lapping pastes. Then it was installed in the aluminium. I chose a larger diameter tungsten carbide because I found that with my old base, the balls would ride the tip and hula hoop so wildly that the top would fall right off. This base allows be to use my ball tips properly. I have had one spin test on the base with my Top Nr. 4 and got 26:30. A new personal best! My old record of 25:02 was on a glass base. More info on how I made my last base and tips is on my youtube channel: James 'o' Biscuits

Once a spinner, always a spinner :)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Tips and base 2
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 09:10:54 AM »

Excellent work!

Closing on half an hour!  :)

Iacopo

• Immortal Member
    • Spin tops by Iacopo Simonelli, YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 03:48:18 AM »

Hi, James,

I remember you have made a beautiful flywheel, so I imagine that it will not take very long for the next top to be ready..
Have you already chosen the wood for your beauty ?

James

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 04:48:29 AM »

Iacopo,

Not really. Do you have any suggestions? A medium dark wood would be preferable, and something not too hard to lathe. Thanks.

James

Iacopo

• Immortal Member
    • Spin tops by Iacopo Simonelli, YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 06:33:45 AM »

Iacopo,

Not really. Do you have any suggestions? A medium dark wood would be preferable, and something not too hard to lathe. Thanks.

James

For the top you need a stable wood.  My list of relatively stable woods, (the most stable are the first ones), is:

Afzelia
Western red cedar
Granadillo
Cocobolo
Iroko
Honduras mahogany
Burmese teak
African blackwood
African padauk
Obeche
Gidgee
Osage orange
Ziricote
Snakewood

If you want a light wood, obeche and western red cedar are the best ones of the list.
Iroko, mahogany and teak too are good as for lightness.

As for aesthetics, my preferred of the list is snakewood. 

I often use iroko for my tops, which is very stable, and light:
I have many planks of iroko, they come from the demolition of a sailer, the galleon Santa Monica, (!)
Well, this wasn't a real antique galleon, but a old schooner converted into a galleon in 1961 for a movie with pirates, and then used as a floating restaurant:

http://www.viareggiok.it/la-storia-del-galeone-santa-monica/

It was demolished in 1979, and my father, who was looking for the wood for making the doors windows and other wooden parts for the house where we now live, had the opportunity to have part of the wood of that sailer.  I still have remains of those planks.

As for the hardness, don't worry, even the hardest wood is not difficult to turn on the lathe, compared to metals.
Harder woods are maybe even easier to turn than light ones, because they are more compact and smooth.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 06:38:19 AM by Iacopo »

James

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 08:42:20 AM »

Iacopo,

Thanks very much for the reply! I will see what I have in the department. I'm pretty sure there is some mahogany, oak, maple, pine and some other common types. if nothing is great, I will see if I can get it from somewhere else.

James