iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Imperial Toy Corp 1973 - Hong Kong  (Read 3307 times)

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
Imperial Toy Corp 1973 - Hong Kong
« on: November 14, 2017, 11:41:33 AM »

I bought this lot of tops on ebay because I wanted the B19.  It's a pretty random group.  The one I'm most curious about is the tiny Imperial Toy top.  It's about 1.5 in tall.  Does anyone know more about this little top?

I'm assuming the three small bullet shaped tops are whipping tops.  They have a finger size indentation in the top.  I need to find some info on how to wind and spin those. 

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: Imperial Toy Corp 1973 - Hong Kong
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 02:05:22 AM »

Nice haul, Renee! Does the metal one whistle or hum while it spins?
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 03:25:17 AM »

It hums softly when I throw it. Our kitchen floor is textured, so you can't hear the hum once it starts bouncing around. I tried throwing it into the saucer sled thinking the smooth surface would be quieter.  Unfortunately, the hollow metal body of the top, complete with sound holes, is an excellent resonator. It amplifies any vibration, kind of like a steel guitar.  I imagine it would hum louder, if I could spin it faster on a very smooth surface.

I found a listing of the tiny Imperial Toy top that said they were gumball machine prizes.  I haven't been able to verify that from any other sources, yet.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:30:15 AM by Renee »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 11:04:36 AM »

I am not familiar with the Imperial Toy tops.
Imperial Toy is a large toy company with many brands. A trademark for the current logo below, which is different to the one on your top, was applied on 2006.

The B19 and the Siren King, both from Chicago Scientific, can whistle fairly load but just for a few seconds after the boomerang. They have to spin pretty fast for that and it's quite difficult from regenerations. The Siren King has a tip much more conducive to trick play.

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 11:32:40 AM »

There is an Imperial mini top around here in storage. I think it was a carnival prize from the 1970s. If I find it I'll give it a try. I'll have to make a smaller string for it.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 01:40:13 PM »

Don't waste your money. Just buy a LARGE SPINTASTIC. Learn some tricks and start looking at wood lathes. And pick up one of Mr. Neff's string makers. MORE FUN.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 01:42:46 PM »

Don't waste your money. Just buy a LARGE SPINTASTIC. Learn some tricks and start looking at wood lathes. And pick up one of Mr. Neff's string makers. MORE FUN.

So if I understand correctly, the only way to have worthwhile fun with tops is your way?

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 04:24:52 PM »

esta empresa imperial aun existe....

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 09:26:58 PM »

The B19 and the Siren King, both from Chicago Scientific, can whistle fairly load but just for a few seconds after the boomerang. They have to spin pretty fast for that and it's quite difficult from regenerations. The Siren King has a tip much more conducive to trick play.

I have both a B19 and a Siren King.  The B19 is easier to wind, crossing the string over the crown, because the top is a little flatter.  The Siren King is very round, so I end up just laying the string along the side, then winding.  You are right that it does have a much better tip, though.  I've been trying to be gentle with them to start with.  As I get more comfortable throwing them, I have thrown them a bit harder and get a better hum out of them.

There are two listings on ebay from the same seller for Imperial Toy tops.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Vintage-NOS-Imperial-Toy-Tops-Plastic-Mini-Dime-Store-New-In-Packages-b/263282250036?hash=item3d4cd85134:g:xh4AAOSw8-tWba4r

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 01:27:49 AM »

All I'm saying is the bigger the BETTER. There is so much you can do with wood. Now i'm thinking of making a five inch maple top and using Purple Heart as a Ta too of a dragon. Maybe make the top then use a dremel to etch the dragon and use Purple Heart wood dust as the filler. And yes. My way is the BEST WAY. See you soon. Do you have any 3 3/4 fighting tops? If not I can bust up your PLASTIC.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 11:57:48 PM »

My wife found an Imperial Toy top in somebody's couch. Can't figure out why that string and ring are... the way they are.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 11:59:51 PM »

Cecil, you are coming off really frictional. Do you need a hug?

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 11:12:23 AM »

My wife found an Imperial Toy top in somebody's couch. Can't figure out why that string and ring are... the way they are.

I think someone suggested they were like a charm and were in gumball machines.  They are pretty tiny for a top, but kind of big for a charm.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 11:28:52 AM »

The ring plus string was standard equipment for this top, as several examples on ebay show:

A little mystery.  :-\