iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Linked Events

• Austin JuggleFest: February 24, 2017 - February 26, 2017

Author Topic: Tops at Austin JuggleFest  (Read 3087 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Tops at Austin JuggleFest
« on: February 10, 2017, 11:16:44 PM »

In two weeks takes place the 24th Austin (Texas) JuggleFest. This is top related, not just because I will be there  ;D, but because Mark Hayward will be the MC.  :)
Pass the Props is one of the vendors so I guess Brad will also be there.
Who else is coming?

By the way, Ben Conde, the off-string yo-yo guy from LA, is a special guest and will perform at the Public Show.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Tops at Austin JuggleFest
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 05:24:22 AM »

In odd but true news, my step-daughter Lauren has just taken a job in Austin.  She and my wife are going to be moving down to Austin about the same time as this fest.  Wonder if I could hop in the trunk of their car?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:34:07 PM »

It was another good Austin Jugglefest!
Mark Hayward performed at the Renegade show (and was the MC) but I missed it because I did not come until Saturday. We talked tops on Saturday and Sunday but we did not actually throw much together. By the way, he said he has an aunt (I believe) who lived in Nigeria and studied the Hausa language, so she may be able to find something more about the Rascals.  :)

Brad was there selling his props. We mainly talked as he had to work the table (his wife was watching him  :P ).
Somebody with whom I did throw tops was Alan (alan850627 on the board). Last year I didn't realize how much he is into diabolos. He had like 20 over there! But he also brought his Taiwanese tops. He is the inductee number 143 :o to the Figaro Gallery of Top Players:

As always I helped several beginners. Anna (originally from Russia) had a top that she could throw but was using a very, very, short string. I tried to have her unlearn the throw and relearn it with a longer string: I hope I did not frustrate her. Reid Jacobson, from the Austin Unicycle School, had a Ripcord he bought after seen a top player a few years ago, but he could not do much with it. I think he had good progress (he may join the forum). Another was Michael, a very young juggler. Unfortunately, he could not get a consistent throw on the floor, what it is surprising because he is very good at learning any juggling (he already does 5 balls) or balancing skill (plus he is a competitive Rubik cube player). I suspect he was trying too hard. I gave him a Short Circuit, so that may change very soon.

This very tall guy had not problem raising the top on his finger. When the Giulia finally fell I checked the bearing and was still spinning ok. I did not check the floor . . .  :-\

Ben Conde gave a popular workshop on off string yo-yo. His performance on the public show was almost flawless (just one drop) and the public gave him a standing ovation (this yoyoing style was new to most of the public). Unfortunately, he did not come to the gym on Sunday so I could not get him to try the YoYo Empire top nor take his photo with Figaro.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:18:53 PM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »

thanx for the report

you didn't meet étienne , did you?

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 12:43:35 PM »

thanx for the report

you didn't meet étienne , did you?
jim

I did meet him. He told me that he's a very good friend of Trash. He actually inspired me to start playing with two diabolos (he used 4 in the public show).
But he was not much interested in anything else. I could only show him a little bit of tops and when I asked him if he played monobolos he said that he'd tried them for the first time at the festival (borrowed from Alan).  :o
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:19:58 PM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 01:21:52 PM »

hello again
i'm glad to read that you met étienne:my contact list is not so rusty after all :)

did he do 3 diabs in the string and 4 in the air ?

any vids from the event? or "high toss" photo ?

jim

alan850627

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 03:04:58 PM »

hello again
i'm glad to read that you met étienne:my contact list is not so rusty after all :)

did he do 3 diabs in the string and 4 in the air ?

any vids from the event? or "high toss" photo ?

jim

Howdy, I'm the Alan pictured above.
At the public show étienne did 3 and 4 diabs, mostly on the string, but a few 3diabs high toss starts.
His routine was amazing, and of course his technique is impeccable.

Here's a photo of him doing 3 high Thursday before the festival.