iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Kururin  (Read 10693 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
Kururin
« on: January 28, 2017, 07:15:00 PM »

so i tried turning a kururin the other day and its just plain straight up didnt work  >:(
so jack got t thinkin.......cus thats what jack do....sometimes  :(
i took a small gouge and deepened the concave on the ends @-@
i have seen a larger version before used with chonkakegoma btw so this isnt anything new but it is for jack at least  ;D

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:40:19 PM by Jack »

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
Re: failed kururin = ???
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 10:28:08 AM »

Where did you get the dimensions?  I was thinking about making one but was going to buy one to get the measurements first.  Nice!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »

hello jack!

you know, i've been playing this way with a simple can of coke for many years
top to bottom and back, even side with flattened alu
it's fun with a bearing top as well

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 09:33:58 PM »

Where did you get the dimensions?  I was thinking about making one but was going to buy one to get the measurements first.  Nice!

thanks  ;D
i just kinda eyeballed it + worked with the scrap wood i had available  ;D im so tempted to buy one too eh, but i just cant justify 15 + shipping  >:(

hello jack!

you know, i've been playing this way with a simple can of coke for many years
top to bottom and back, even side with flattened alu
it's fun with a bearing top as well

jim

ha!!! i didnt know that  ;D  your an OG kururin/spintop player then  ;D

ryan paul

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 10:10:28 AM »

nice hat!!!

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 11:14:13 PM »

I just ordered a 2-pack from that place, so I guess I should have them by the end of the week. I'll go get out my caliper and try to send the specs your way. That might help. I think in your case, while the work looks need, I think the fact that there's no arc in the center is what's preventing your kururin to continue it's momentum. It's just stopping, right? If not stopping,it's probably losing virtually all the momentum.

Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 11:50:27 AM »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 12:02:26 PM »

I just ordered a 2-pack from that place, so I guess I should have them by the end of the week. I'll go get out my caliper and try to send the specs your way. That might help. I think in your case, while the work looks need, I think the fact that there's no arc in the center is what's preventing your kururin to continue it's momentum. It's just stopping, right? If not stopping,it's probably losing virtually all the momentum.

you are sir sir!!!

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 12:22:56 PM »

I noticed someone selling those (rubber?) pads that go on the ends too.

studio42

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 03:00:37 PM »

I noticed someone selling those (rubber?) pads that go on the ends too.

I was thinking about this last night. You'd just need to find something like a coin or button, then make a shallow hoop  and secure it to a smooth surface(like wax paper.parchment paper, waxy side up). Pour in some flowable silicone, remove the excess, let it cure for 24 hours. Trim t fit, adhere with some sort of contact cement or super glue. Another option is similar, just make a rectangular mold, pour to 1mm depth(or maybe less) with flowable silicone. If you've ever bought One Drop Flow Groove pads, it would be like this except not so thick, but same idea: strip. If you can punch to proper size, that would be ideal, otherwise, perhaps a trace with a Sharpie then skillfully excise with a #11 Xacto/surgical blade. Another idea would be if there was a really thick/rubbery tape that could be cut up, but I don't know of any. I also had to use some of that Leak Stop, and I would think if that was sprayed onto a surface coated with a non-stick spray, it could be sprayed on and left to cure. It sort of levels out a bit, but it's still kinda sloppy and messy to use. Might take some practice to get the depth good but could probably be sanded to proper thickness.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 06:31:59 PM »

just turned a new kururin without the slot in the centre.....................gentlmen...............it flipflops............i repeat it actually flipflops @-@
will supply pics when the linseed oil drys and wont make me have to change the paper in my lightbox  >:(

studio42

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 04:49:35 PM »

just turned a new kururin without the slot in the centre.....................gentlmen...............it flipflops............i repeat it actually flipflops @-@
will supply pics when the linseed oil drys and wont make me have to change the paper in my lightbox  >:(

Excellent. I knew taking that slot out of the center would make the difference. Can't wait to see photos!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 05:16:54 PM »

Excellent. I knew taking that slot out of the center would make the difference. Can't wait to see photos!

video coming soon to a theatre near you @-@

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 08:24:59 PM »

not sure why when i embed instagram content it crops it wierd  ???

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 09:40:00 PM »

Must say that put a smile on my face. ;D