iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 3D Printed Top  (Read 141627 times)

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Re: 3D Printed Top
« Reply #345 on: February 23, 2019, 08:11:59 AM »

Nice print!
Love the color choice .
I just picked up some UV sensitive neon colors from Atomic Filaments. Cant wait to give them a go.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #346 on: February 24, 2019, 12:20:46 AM »

Very NICE.

Softspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #347 on: February 24, 2019, 08:58:34 AM »

Nice top taO!!!  And Jose that neon sounds cool also

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #348 on: March 01, 2019, 01:40:26 PM »

Here is my print of it!!!

It is amazing... ballence out with a bit of sticker putty, it is dead butter smooth! What types of string do you recommend @Jose ?
I've been using this FAT string ( 4x3 reduction 12%) and it is going well.. I'll be honest I prefere thinner string when it comes to jocker chocker with the Spintastic tip.
My MEDIUM string ( 3x3 reduction 20% ) seem a bit better but more ackward on the throw. My regular string, what I use for QSH's is ( 4x2 reduction 12% ) this is too small.
The top just flys off the string... I can easily snap start with my REG string... but I cannot throw ... will play a bit more with it this weekend ( read a lot :P )...

Thanks a lot for sharing the design!
paxl
Spinning is life!!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #349 on: March 01, 2019, 01:59:18 PM »

Very cool!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #350 on: March 01, 2019, 03:06:08 PM »

I use 4 sets of 2 No. 10 with this top. I think around 89". I would have to check.
Throwing it takes some practice. Watch my video on throwing. It's important to keep the string perpendicular to the tip.
Fun for snap starts for sure.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #351 on: March 01, 2019, 03:17:34 PM »

I use 4 sets of 2 No. 10 with this top. I think around 89". I would have to check.
Throwing it takes some practice. Watch my video on throwing. It's important to keep the string perpendicular to the tip.
Fun for snap starts for sure.

Oki will try to make a 95+ inch string with 4x2 and see what happens... I love thinner string when it comes to regen plays...
Will make a video at some point... I was doing repetitive suns ( sun into sewing machine into sun, not wheels of fortune ) this aftternoon like nothing :P

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #352 on: March 02, 2019, 06:06:13 PM »

Hey yalls,

So first and foremost, thank you so much for sharing that top with us! It is quite a nice one!!! Do you know it it plays better with the brass tip or the steel one? I've played lot with the steel one today, on my QSH, I prefer the steel one. Also, would you know if I can remove one and change it? It was printed in PLA.

I'll post more impression on the top when I am back on my computer!

Thanks Jose!

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #353 on: March 04, 2019, 04:24:57 PM »

Answer for myself or any other interested! Yes you can swap tip from PLA printed tops!!! Did it 2 times today and don't seem to have any ill effect!

Cheers!

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #354 on: March 07, 2019, 09:08:23 AM »

I've been postponing a reply to this thread for a while now. Bear with me, might be a long post. First and foremost, this top is nothing short of amazing! One of the best of my collection with my 3 inch delrin one from Jospin ( they both play so different too that's a plus )...

So onward with my observation. My friend had printed me 2 ( because he had to ship them to be being out of town ) and I had one setup with a steel tip and one with a brass tip. The white one ( 97g with the brass tip ) was working really well with a 4x2 string. The transparent one ( 103g with the steel tip ) was not at all.. I was getting sloppy & loose boomerang with a slightly bigger string, with a 4x2 it was just impossible to throw. on a side note, I have no idea how do you throw your top with a line that long :) that's just insane to me :P So... Long story short, 2 takeaways :

- This top need the brass tip ( at least to me with PLA ), my black is now with a brass tip and goes rougly 2x better ( I am surprised )
- My friend use a skirt around the crown to solifiy the print. This need to be removed perfectly else, it will snap back / not boomerang properly ( this was more apparent with thinner string ).

Thanks you so much Jose for sharing the design, this top is simply amazing. I'd be curious to see the same shape in delrin and see how it handle itself!
paxl

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #355 on: March 07, 2019, 12:05:40 PM »

I designed this top for the brass tip.
I also designed it for the way I played at that time. I wouldn't use pla for this top but if it works for you that's fine.
I like thin string with this top but you have to adjust your throwing motion to get it to work. Throw slower.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #356 on: March 07, 2019, 01:33:25 PM »

Throw slower.

^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^

I wouldn't use pla for this top but if it works for you that's fine.

Why not PLA, I tried to get my friend to print it in abs and his bed doesn't reach more than 85C. which isn't enough to make abs stick properly :( So I guess I'm stuck with PLA.
Also, I'd add on the thingiverse the mention that it work better with the brass tip... ( funny tho, I hate the brass tip on a QSH :P )

Thanks!
paxl

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #357 on: March 07, 2019, 07:36:44 PM »

ABS and PETG are a bit flexible making them good options for things that take impact. PLA in general is not. It's hard and more likely to break. The first top I uploaded is thick and might be fine with PLA. The second has thinner walls so I would not recommend PLA. That being said there are a lot of material hybrids out there so use what works for you.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #358 on: March 08, 2019, 05:21:44 AM »

ABS and PETG are a bit flexible making them good options for things that take impact. PLA in general is not. It's hard and more likely to break. The first top I uploaded is thick and might be fine with PLA. The second has thinner walls so I would not recommend PLA. That being said there are a lot of material hybrids out there so use what works for you.

Interesting! To any scientific mind out there here is a nice explanation :

https://www.3dhubs.com/knowledge-base/pla-vs-abs-whats-difference#strength

That being said, I played with my top for 1.5h last night and had a couple of scary drop ( mostly when practicing whips when the top was still spinning at full speed and didn't think where the top would fly off ) and it stills play super great! Whenever it explodes, I will keep you posted :) ( and keep off playing over tramac :P ) I'd love to have an abs print but my friend printer simply cannot do it :(

Thanks Jose for sharing all these details :)
paxl

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #359 on: March 09, 2019, 11:20:45 AM »

Here's a nice explanation for why not PLA!

I don't know if it will get worst or not! Time will tell!