iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 3D Printed Top  (Read 141626 times)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
Re: 3D Printed Top
« Reply #315 on: May 15, 2018, 03:37:22 PM »

Glad you printed the top. Have fun.
Just checked out the photo. Looks like a good print. A few little voids but the shoulder looks good. What material did you use?

PLA. It's my friend's printer. I'll ask him to make it into abs at some point.
Spinning is life!!!!

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #316 on: May 23, 2018, 09:22:48 PM »

Ok, it's officially time to release these new tops I have been working on all year. I have been working on printing and getting things packaged and finally am ready.

The regular 3.2" colored tops are $85 shipped. 

The RGB top will be $125 shipped. It includes 3.2" translucent top with new stainless tip, sticker, string,PCB board bracket and the PCB. The top has two switches located on the inside that control power and modes. The board has two modes of operation. Mode0 will slowly go around the color wheel changing colors by gradually fading one color into the next. Mode1 uses the accelerometer to cycle through different colors when the top is in motion. The bracket that holds this board is pictured bellow. I designed it with brass 4-40 inserts that will bolt the board securely into place. The bracket is held in place using a #8 bolt that bolts into the tip Each PCB is powered using a standard CR2032 battery. This should give about a 10 hour run life to the board. A small piece of electrical tape will hold the battery in place when the top is dropped.

I also have printed a few caps that can be used to hold the PCB boards into the Trompo Grande. These caps and board combos are $55 shipped. These are pressed right in to the top and can be secured with tape for a more secure attachment. These caps also use brass 4-40 inserts to bolt in the board.

If you would just like a board alone I can do that as well for $40 shipped.

Please send me a PM and let me know if you are interested. Thanks!

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #317 on: May 23, 2018, 09:40:34 PM »

WoW José. Those look awesome!! Wish you much success.
Will get one soon.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #318 on: May 24, 2018, 12:28:14 AM »

Very nice. Nice to see a Craftsman at work.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #319 on: May 24, 2018, 08:16:03 AM »

If they play anything like the one I printed... hell damn they are beautiful... the probably are amazing.
Why is money always a problem =)

Keep the good work =)

Softspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #320 on: July 04, 2018, 12:23:29 PM »

I have two of these beautiful tops ..the light up is super cool there both 3.5 " i am struggling with boomerang with the smaller string thickness but can nail it with a 1/8" string I have .Jose has gave me some tips  though,great guy to talk to via email ..I know my release is downward ,I can get away with that using my Gsh that I use the most ,,,trying to get 24 patch so I use spintastic tops a lot...getting close too...practice practice

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #321 on: July 17, 2018, 01:11:00 PM »

Hey Josee,

do you happen to know the bolt size of the aluminum YYF tip for the top you gave to thingiverse ?? it was pressfit but I played it too much... now i need to put a bolt there...

thansk!

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #322 on: July 17, 2018, 04:53:55 PM »

If I remember correct it was a number 4

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #323 on: July 20, 2018, 08:25:11 AM »

Hey Jose! So the right answer was a 8-32 for future reference... And MAN... that made the whole differnce in the world. The top was good prior to that bolting... but then after.. it becamse amazing... It's a nice mix between a pure-regenerative top ( like the QSH / Hornet ) & a easy to wirewalk top ( liek the shortcircuit and the trompos cometa )... But it needed to be ballence with a small bit of putty... ( which I seem to be better at b/c all my tops now are nicely balenced =)

When it comes to strings... I twisted a 3 ply string with 5 crochet thread size 10..... That yeilded a bigger string than I used for say a QSH but @ a lenght of rougly 62-64 inch... What do you usually recommend... a spintastic string woudl take me 72 inch.. which is harder to pull back on...

Anyway thanks Jose!

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #324 on: July 20, 2018, 10:25:58 AM »

I use 3 pairs of #10 for this top.

I would be surprised if it is a #8. That's the size I use for my 4.5" top tips. My mistake was not saying its metric.
The correct size should be an M4.
You could probly get an 8-32 in the aluminum tip but it will cross thread.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #325 on: July 20, 2018, 10:38:57 AM »

Well. it's in now... and was screwing in & out smoothly... I wouldn't have forced... Anyway if it end up falling out I"ll just buy another tip & use a M4 =). Now that I think about it tho I might have had a M4 bold and I used a 8-32 nut on the bolt b/c my bold was to long... yeah that'd make more sence... Anyway, it's in and isn't stripped :)

I'll play more with string size... 3 pair of #10... that's 9 thread... that small... I use 15 thread now... I'll try it with a smaller string gauge, I'm curious :) Probably will render regen easier tho!

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #326 on: August 01, 2018, 07:53:38 PM »

I am scheduled to use the 3D printer at the local library on Friday. If things go well I will have a copy of the top that Jose published to Thingverse! They only offer PLA as a filament material stating that it is 'user friendly and less toxic'. Is PLA suitable for a spin top? It will take a long time to print and I don't want to invest the time if it's not a good material to use.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #327 on: August 01, 2018, 11:29:37 PM »

I am scheduled to use the 3D printer at the local library on Friday. If things go well I will have a copy of the top that Jose published to Thingverse! They only offer PLA as a filament material stating that it is 'user friendly and less toxic'. Is PLA suitable for a spin top? It will take a long time to print and I don't want to invest the time if it's not a good material to use.

PLA is the simplest material to print with. This probably gives the library less headaches with failed prints. PLA is also harder and more brittle than ABS or PETG. I would not think it would be a good plastic to use for tops due to impacts.
The top that I shared is a pretty stout design so it might do ok with PLA. I think some others on the fourm have successfully printed this top with PLA. They might be better to give feed back on durability of PLA.
I used ABS when I printed this top.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #328 on: August 02, 2018, 08:09:02 AM »

PLA is the simplest material to print with. This probably gives the library less headaches with failed prints. PLA is also harder and more brittle than ABS or PETG. I would not think it would be a good plastic to use for tops due to impacts.
The top that I shared is a pretty stout design so it might do ok with PLA. I think some others on the fourm have successfully printed this top with PLA. They might be better to give feed back on durability of PLA.
I used ABS when I printed this top.

I've played mine to death and even dropped it from very very high trapeze ( > 20ft ) onto a rock in my garden and it still spin smooth. Don't get thrown off at first, you'll need to balence the top with a lil' bit of putty & the BOLT to lock into the tip add more bottom weight and makes it more playable IMO.

So yeah, it's worth it :)
Thanks Josee!!!

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #329 on: August 02, 2018, 10:30:38 AM »

It's a long time to wait for a print...the estimate is more than four hours! I need to think about this given the time investment.

Given the successful print and review from paxl13 I may give it a go.

I'll bring stuff to read and maybe I can get in some top throwing at the library if I promise to be quiet.

Thank you jmadrigal for the advice and making the file available. Thank you paxl13 for the encouragement.