iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2016 Post World's Party in Miamisburg at the Mosaic Institute!!!  (Read 2633 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page

Yes!!!  Can you believe we have a business in town that wants to host a gathering on the Sunday after world's in Cleveland.  This all just happened this afternoon.

The Mosaic Institute is an art center on Main Street in the historic downtown of Miamisburg.  It used to be a Penny's store back before 1970 when the Dayton Mall came in and sucked all the life out of our downtown.  The MI folks have worked hard to get it back to a functioning space.  They have old wood floors with a nice high ceiling and are open to an activity like top spinning.  They even have a number of Don Olney's wood Toycrafter tops in their center for community people who want to paint them as part of an art contest with our Burg Whirled Top Festival on August 27th.  They are with us!!!

So, here are the details we have worked out.  Hope this sounds good to others.  On your way back from Cleveland, swing by the Burg and enjoy our unique candy store, our fantastic donut shop and our 3 dips ice cream store.  All are within a few steps of the Mosaic Institute (yes, there will be some top spinning mosaics there).  They invite us to use the space from 3pm-6pm and we can even order dinner and have it delivered if we are enjoying everything.  Ever had a whirling meal?  This could be a first.  It kind of reminds me of the whirling cake we had for JNeff's birthday.  Pizza is nearby and can be delivered.  Wings are also handy.  Want a big salad?  We can get it (much to Don Olney's delight).

It might be really hot out and this gives us a cooler option.  It might be raining out and this gives us a drier option.  If we want to go out and throw on the grass, we can do that later in the evening.  Right now, I am happy to be able to concentrate on worship services that morning and know that something is scheduled for people who might be coming through the town.  That list could include the Earl, ta0, Cuper (from Mexico), Dale Oliver, Val Oliver, Ko Nakayama (is he the Japanese man traveling with the Olivers).  Maybe also Kirk and Rachel?  Maybe also the Hickersons?  Oh my, I suddenly feel the energy level rising.  Is this too far out of the way for Neff or Mark Hayward?  I wonder what johnm is up to?  John Buechele (uniquely Buechele) may not be going to Cleveland but he loves Miamisburg.  And it is all free.  They are not charging for the use of their space and we are writing an article for the local paper.  Others may show up......like Jay Robinson who lives in Miamisburg and would love to take some photos of the event.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 05:23:11 PM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: 2016 Post World's Party in Miamisburg at the Mosaic Institute!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 08:00:11 PM »

Wow! What a surprise! Great! I cannot wait!
A couple of months ago I was not very upbeat about W16 but now I am getting all revved up (pun intended)!

PS: What Miami are we talking about? Hot outside in Miamisburg? I doubt it!  :P

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 09:37:51 PM »

Sounds like its going to be a toptastic time. Its unlikely I be able to make it. Its much to long a ride home Sunday night to be at work Monday morning. Work really gets in the way sometimes.
If its worth doing.....its worth overdoing

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 06:27:42 AM »

Stupid work!!!  Thanks for considering it, though.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 08:33:42 AM »

This is very tempting... I also have to work Monday and have lots of driving to do Sunday...

valerieyo

• ITSA
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 10:32:31 PM »

Sounds great, but Dale and I have a flight out of Cleveland Sunday morning! It's Aoi Kiyama that will be travel to Texas with us on the same flight out.  See you all soon. Val

SpinLynn

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 05:12:34 PM »

Going through the forum, looking for info on the annual Miamisburg weekend. Is this Sunday  event what's happening this year?

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 06:28:35 PM »

Lynn,

Mike and others are presently in Cleveland Ohio attending the World YoYo and SpinTop event.

Mike’s 2016 Miamisburg Whirled Festival of Tops is scheduled for Saturday, August 27, 2016 from 5pm to 8pm.

The event in this posting is an after the ”Worlds” get together for anyone interested, not a substitute for Mike’s Festival.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 06:47:58 PM »

Hey Larry D. and SpinLynn!  Thanks for your posts.  Great to hear from you.

Yes, life is going along swimmingly here in Cleveland.  The Mayor and the rest of the city have our annual event on their calendars for August 27th and have been anticipating it for a long time.  This will be our 17th one!!!

The thought from some was that a few would maybe be driving through the Burg after worlds here in Believeland.  For sure I will be there with ta0 and Cuper.  The Hickersons (3 in number) could also be there along with the Charles (2 more). Maybe some others but it will indeed be a low key event.

Join us for one or both of these gatherings.  8/27 will feature youth battles, more adult throwing, gold dollar coins to all ($100 to winners) and a close up look at our new park improvements including a nice bathroom and Pokemon stops!!!