iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: in the town of Tatahuicapan.....  (Read 3195 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
in the town of Tatahuicapan.....
« on: January 05, 2015, 03:25:50 PM »

in the town of Tatahuicapan...........a trompo was booomeranged.........boomerunged........boomeringed?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: in the town of Tatahuicapan.....
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 10:05:46 PM »

Good find!

I was not aware that they played those ball (gourd?) humming tops in Mexico. It is also interesting the variety of tops played in the same location.

Those kind of games where you use the top to push puck a certain distance seem pretty popular in several countries of Latin America. We should try it one day.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 11:05:30 PM »

Good find Jack. Looks like these tops are hallow and with the hole they hum. I would like to see how the make them.

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 09:47:03 AM »

Good find Jack. Looks like these tops are hallow and with the hole they hum. I would like to see how the make them.
I think the big round ones with the holes and a long spike are made with Higüeras which is the same fruit used to make Maracas. They have the hard shell and some pulp that is easy to remove once you let the fruit dry.
I will try to get some from a nearby tree and let them dry. Some are more perfectly round than others, so I'll have to get a couple and wait for them to dry.
Can anyone figure out from the video the mechanism they use to spin then? I can't see from the video how or with what they hold the top while they pull the string, or how they tie the string.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 10:54:10 AM »

Can anyone figure out from the video the mechanism they use to spin then? I can't see from the video how or with what they hold the top while they pull the string, or how they tie the string.

They just wrap the string directly on the tip, and they use a stick to decrease friction. It is difficult to tell for sure from the video if the stick is split to hold the tip or not. My guess is that it is a simple stick: they hold the tip between the fingers and the stick at the beginning of the spin and towards the end of the pull they just have the tip pushing against the stick, with the gyroscopic stability stopping the top from tumbling over the stick. But without trying it I cannot guarantee it would work.
When we discussed the Zaranda festival in Venezuela link, the video shows a little of the construction of a similar gourd top, called Zaranda. They also have a trompo (to break the zaranda) very similar to the tops used on the first boomerang.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 11:40:29 AM »

I love the music!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!