iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: potential Science Fair ideas for children  (Read 1945 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
potential Science Fair ideas for children
« on: November 12, 2014, 06:57:18 PM »

I was invited to a Science Fair at a local elementary school today.  The place was PACKED!  There are lots of great ideas floating out there for Science Fairs but I do not remember hearing about anyone using spin tops in them.  It seems like there are lots of possible ideas for them.  I told some of the teachers about tops for a future idea and that I have a bunch of tops I can get for them.

What are some possible ideas you can think of for Science Fair projects?  Of course, what makes for a long spinner.  Something about drag and air resistance?  A comparison of different finger spinner shapes?  Others?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: potential Science Fair ideas for children
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 09:48:04 PM »

Perimeter weight, distance of weight from the spin axis, check what Val said at Spintastics, etc.
Practice hard and play safe.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 05:40:45 PM »

A question that has not clear answer without doing the experiment, is what stops a spintop first: air drag or tip friction? Even Professor Greenler in his autobiography asks himself this question and says he would want to test it one day because he is not sure of the answer. I  don't know if having a vacuum jar would be too much for a science fair. I would first spin a bearing top with the bearing restrained from spinning. Then with the bearing free. Then repeat both in vacuum. And probably try on several different surfaces. Oh, and they should post the results on this forum  ;)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 06:56:29 PM »

Yes, post results on this forum.  That is part of the dream I have with this thread.  I thought if we get enough information and ideas here we could just direct people to this discussion.  There are thousands and thousands of science fair exhibits every year around the country.  Shouldn't a few of them deal with spinning tops?

I did put science fair and spinning tops in Google and came up with some ideas that are floating out there already.  In our area, the science fair is for the children in 4th grade so maybe they would not be able to do anything too fancy.  I wonder what age people have science fairs in other areas of the country?