iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Don's Lair (the ex-The-Toycrafter works)  (Read 12450 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Don's Lair (the ex-The-Toycrafter works)
« on: April 18, 2014, 01:07:10 AM »

With Larry we visited the old The Toycrafter manufacturing facility, now home to the business he has with his wife (Louise's Daughter).  It is in an old large industrial building by the railroad tracks. A secondary building with a smokestack is the remnant of the old power plant from when it was a food factory. At its peak, The Toycrafter occupied almost all the very large 4th floor.  It still occupies a considerable amount of space, although much is used for storage. You climb the stairs (there are industrial elevators but not for personal use) and arrive exhausted to a door that opens to a very long corridor. Most doors along the corridor, and also around the corner, belong to Don.  Pick your door and enter Don's land of tops.

No matter which room you go, they are full of boxes, with unknown contents. Larry expend a considerable amount of time treasure hunting through them. The rooms are also full of whimsical art pieces and clever wooden mechanisms:

And of course, spinning tops and images with tops everywhere.

We had to remove boxes and stuff but we finally could uncover the rotary molding machine that made the large plastic tops, like the one Mark uses in his show:

There are also production areas, like where the wood sheets are laser cut or where the products are spray painted.
Don doesn't like the Santa Claus image, but it is difficult no to think about him when you see all the toys ("gifts" he calls them) and fun stuff that come out of his creativity (plus the whitish beard and the fact that he rides a tricycle, help)  ;D

I picked up a bunch of tops for my collection (some from The Toycrafter, others vintage or antique from Don's collection) that Don will later ship to me. Included is a big top in this photo:  ;)

Thanks Don for showing us your lair!!!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Don's Lair (the ex-The-Toycrafter works)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 10:26:04 AM »

Wow, I can see where you could spend hours just browsing through this treasure trove of top history.

jrodriguez

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »

Thanks for sharing the pictures! That's quite a trove indeed!
Fearless leader of the Finger Lakes Yoyo Club - PM me for info!
JRod's Yoyo Mods - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jrodsyoyomods/

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 12:37:13 PM »

Ahhh!  Good memories.

Nice report.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 01:08:28 PM »

Here is a video playing one of his Balaroo in another room:

I try to imagine how the place would have looked when The Toycrafter was churning out hundreds of thousands of tops a year . . .

A neat thing Don told us is that when the circus (i.e. "big top") comes to town, it unloads from the train at that place.  For some reason the image of elephants walking past the Toycrafter's headquarters seems very fitting.  As it were, on Sunday we could watch from the window a "club" of motorcycle stunt riders that usually practices wheelies in the parking lot.

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 06:25:17 PM »

Thanks for sharing.  Would love to visit the ex-toycrafter-works.
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:45:53 PM »

Thanks for the pictures and commentary.  I can just imagine the rotary molder chuggling away as a top is baking inside. 8) 
Any idea how long it took to produce a single top?

yollector

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 07:47:43 PM »

Very cool !
I should have never moved from NY.
               RFC

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »

Nice set of pictures of a very nice time.  The only thing I love more that sharing tops and top stories is time with my grandchildren!  It was particularly fun to have Larry and Ta0 here.  Larry was the more quiet of the two, but he was the one poking around in all the odd corners finding things I had forgotten I had!  The answer for how long it takes to make a rotationally molded top is around 45 minutes.  Fill the mold with powdered plastic, clamp it in place inside the oven, turn it on, heat it up slowly, cool if off slowly, open it up, and see how it comes out.  My machine is an educational version, designed to show how this common industrial process is done, but not designed to do production!  I would be glad to entertain offers for the machine and the top mold, if anyone would like to own it.  Not sure what it would cost to ship, but it is quite heavy.  Someone posted a video of this machine (not sure if my model # is the same, but it looks the same) here - Mine does not have a stand or any other molds besides the top mold I had made for it. 
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

yollector

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 10:30:44 PM »

what does the finished top look like ?
                     RFC

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 11:00:22 PM »

These two tops have hand turned metal tips that a friend of mine made for them.... you do not get a tip from the mold.  The vent hole in the mold does leave a hole to screw in a homemade tip. I don't have the exact dimensions in my head.  I'm guessing about 6" tall without tip.  Can provide more exact info if you want.  The black band is velcro I used to attach them to a display.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 01:49:10 AM »

hello everybody
big thank you for the report !
it's a trip in Wonderland !

i had never seen the Balaroo : it's one of a kind !!
i'm sure Ludo will go crazy when he sees it!

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 03:31:03 PM »

...he was the one poking around in all the odd corners finding things I had forgotten I had! 

Poking through the cartons at Don’s place was sheer joy! It was an adventure in discovery with treasures awaiting in and under every carton (there are a lot of cartons!)  I don’t know how many times Don said “Where’d you find that!”   :)

I was thrilled to unearth several hundred tips for the Monarc tops which I think Don had been looking for over a long period of time and an original Premier Jumbo in its blister pack with sealed ”spares” in their packaging. ta0 acquired a few items so I won’t spill the beans on other finds.

Who know what other treasures are waiting to be discovered at Don’s place.  (I hope to find them next year!)  :) :) :)

Amongst the items I picked up was this really cute Koma.  The green tabs project outward when the Koma strikes the floor (Video coming shortly).

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 03:33:44 PM »

Amongst the items I picked up was this really cute Koma.  The green tabs project outward when the Koma strikes the floor (Video coming shortly).

Here's the video of the Koma in action:

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 11:48:51 AM »

I guess this poster is very fitting for Don:

I looked up the book and it is from 1970, a bit too early to have been inspired on The Toycrafter.
The subtitle of the book is "A story about why people do different kinds of work" so I guess it is about division of labor and pro-capitalist, while Don's original inspiration was from a group that promoted communal businesses.

On top of Don's desk, a large sign featuring Reddy Kilowatt:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:50:54 AM by ta0 »