iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: the common thread?  (Read 3391 times)

kevinm

the common thread?
« on: October 29, 2009, 09:25:17 PM »

how many of you folks got involved in throwing tops through a yo-yo connection?  it is
exciting (and a little intimidating) to see some of the best of the yo-yo world in this forum.
anyways, the reason i ask is because aside from the ability to move my head very fast out of the
path of an out of control yo-yo, the only other help my throwing experience seems to bring is
my patience to screw up the same trick all evening and still keep at it.  and that isn't probably so much
experience as stubbornness or some other character flaw.
at any rate, thanks for the wealth of information contained in all the posts, i have a million questions about
different tricks and problems but usually if i poke around i find the answers already posted.
i do wonder what some of you folks that like yo-yos and tops think is harder or more challenging to get good at?

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: the common thread?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 11:54:59 AM »

Jon Gates is the reason I throw tops.  We met at "Yo-Yo University" 1997 (?) and did the first Hyper Viper tour together 1998 (?).  Somewhere along the way, I saw him throw a top and he must have noticed my gaping jaw, and he taught me the basics.  Best teacher ever IMO.
There was a definate WALL in top spinning tricks for me, and that's the first level regen stuff; roller coaster & drum beat.  I had the same level of apprension when learning 2A.  For me, getting comfortable with regens blows it wide open; I don't feel limited to one throw = one trick anymore.

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 12:08:59 PM »

i've been a yo-yoer for years and just started tops. i always knew about tops but it wasn't until i saw the yoyofactory spintop video on youtube that i became really interested. so i went to my local flambeau factory outlet store and bought a couple ripcords, BKs, and imperials (and some other stuff) and never looked back.

also, i suck equally at tops and yo-yos, but i'm always learning. i get more stares from people when i do top tricks though. it makes me feel like a pro.  :) i think it is because most people know what yo-yos can do, but many have never seen a top be thrown let alone wirewalk.

Spamgray

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 12:31:10 PM »

It started for me with yoyo's as well. I bought this cheap p.o.s. wooden yoyo that fell apart within a day. My Dad had a jewelers lathe and turned me a brand new one. I forget exactly how the tops came about next, but he also turned me a top. Spent a long time just throwing spinners on the kitchen floor.

Yes, there is most surely a wall in top throwing. It takes a really long time to learn regens, but once it clicks it's just like riding a bike. I guess there's a curve in yoyos too. Binds and slack tricks took a while to master, or make them look good anyways.

kevinm

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 08:08:32 PM »

Jon Gates is the reason I throw tops.  We met at "Yo-Yo University" 1997 (?) and did the first Hyper Viper tour together 1998 (?).  Somewhere along the way, I saw him throw a top and he must have noticed my gaping jaw, and he taught me the basics.  Best teacher ever IMO.
There was a definate WALL in top spinning tricks for me, and that's the first level regen stuff; roller coaster & drum beat.  I had the same level of apprension when learning 2A.  For me, getting comfortable with regens blows it wide open; I don't feel limited to one throw = one trick anymore.
oh good, a wall for you is probably a mountain for me. anyways i'll look forward to one throw = one trick, then go from there!
btw, i got an email from the Steve Brown today, in ref. to my query about the HP i ordered on the 21st. the top will be shipped next week (yay) . i only bring it up cuz i would have figured you and steve would be kicking back living off the royalties from How To Be a Player. i dunno how much you got for that, but you were robbed, you should have some oscars.  seriously it's amazing stuff..  humor, drama, suspense... everything. anyways i'll shut up now.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 09:34:54 PM »

You make me want to watch "How to be a player".  For one reason or another I never looked at it.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »

what?! never seen it?! it's and instant classic. one word:

donuts.

:)

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 09:24:24 PM »

I must say that in my case, is the contrary thing. Nowadays, I am learning to play yoyo. Here, in Mèxico, the ballbearings yoyos are almost unknown and all the people, in general, only knows the fixed axle ones.
But I like all those tricks taht can be done with the help of the ballbearing system.