iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: dog walking with a bike  (Read 2379 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
dog walking with a bike
« on: August 21, 2012, 10:47:56 PM »

This is really out of the blue but it has been pretty fun this past week.  My wife loves having a dog around so when Daisy died we eventually got another labrador, except this one has more energy than we can deal with.  We can't seem to keep up with her even though my wife walks/runs her 4-5 miles every morning and we take her for a walk in the evening.  After observing some others with dogs and bikes and after some research I decided to try some dog "walking" with my bike.  She (the dog) loves it and she (my wife) loves the fact that I am doing it.  Actually, it is kind of fun as the dog has so much energy at first that she pulls the bike by herself.  It has taken a bit of practice and there have been a few falls (but not too bad as we were going pretty slow) but overall it has been a great week of dog walking/biking.  And on top of everything else, we can finally wear out the dog!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
Re: dog walking with a bike
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 12:29:12 AM »

When my lab, Seymour, was a puppy, I lived in Montana and was working as a landscaper. After long days, when I was too tired to walk or run him, I would drive him. This meant going out on a dirt road in my truck, unloading him, telling him to sit and stay, and then driving away. When I got about 100 yards away, I would honk the horn and he would start running. I would drive a mile up the road (I never wanted him running next to a moving vehicle) and stop and wait. He did not break any land speed records, but it tuckered him out and he seemed to enjoy it. After, we would go swimming at our favorite swimming hole and then go sleep under the stars in the back of the truck (we were homeless for a good chunk of that summer).

In Montana it was easy to bike with him because there are not strictly enforced leash laws. Given that he learned how to be around a bike off leash, it is nearly impossible to bike with him now while he is on a leash. He just does not want to have anything to do with being anchored to me.

jochs12

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 02:00:33 AM »

We had a large (100 lbs.) and very spirited Golden Retriever.  Taking him for walks was always a good workout because it involved a lot of holding him back to keep his pace in control, especially if he saw another dog.  I tried riding a bike while he was on a leash as a way of him being able to cruise along at a pace that he would like and hopefully have a little more weight and stopping power (brakes) on my side.  As long as his path kept roughly in the direction of the bike everything was good.  Unfortunately he seemed to make sudden course changes at extremely perpendicular degrees quite regularly and after a few spills in the street I finally decided that it wasn't that good of an idea after all.

I like Sir Boot's story.  It has the makings of a movie..."The Landscaper and his Dog", coming soon to a theater near you.
Enjoy taking my tops for a spin

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 06:51:02 AM »

great story justin !

i met some guys living in trailers near El Paso once
they put me up for a night,great fun to have a French folk getting rides from a battery powered CB Radio!!anyway i remember the dogs were trained to jump and ride on a skateboard and also to catch a Frisbee hovering in mid air , like you the dogs would also "car ride" with multiple leashes from a pickup////////that was in 77 !!

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 09:06:37 AM »

Dogs are something else.  It is good to hear everyone's stories.  Thankfully, jochs12, our dog is not 100 pounds or I would really have a lot of injuries right now.  She is only around 40 pounds or so.  I dream of her learning more tricks but I doubt if skateboards are up here alley, jim in paris.  I'd love to see some of that in person.  And SirBoot32, I never ever thought of driving ahead and running to the car.  That is great!  And a honk of the horn to have him come....that is classic.

Thanks for the stories.