iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mexican top tourism  (Read 5126 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Mexican top tourism
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:51:03 AM »

I took more videos than photographs in Mexico, but here are some.

I stayed the first few days at the house of a friend of Gustavo, close to his condominium.  Walking with  him around the neighborhood was like walking with a celebrity: everybody seemed to know him. He has lived his whole life there so he could show me the shop where he bought his first plastic top:

He also showed me the shopping walkway where he used to compete in spintop contests when he was a child (before he was forbidden from entering any more). There he developed his very strong boomerang and the “hand regens”.  By the way, as proof of how strong his boomerang is, this was the result when he first tried to throw the Extrem top Neff had modded with a solder ring:

Here is a building with a shape reminiscent of a top in the nearby upscale Polanco district:

We visited the Soumaya private museum (owned by the richest man in the world):

Security did not let me go in with my HP so I had to check it a the entrance with a ticket just for itself. While we were admiring the sculptures of Rodin and Dali an earthquake was felt in Mexico City but inside we did not notice it.

Here I am at the Cometa's headquaters with Gus, Carlos and Salvador, the three players who will probably come to worlds this year.  The kid to the right is Brian, a nephew of Gus and a future campeón who was most of the time throwing with us:

And here with more demonstrators at a park:

Salvador de la Rosa is the second one from the left and his brother Omar, who has a very small spintop company (Skyy) the last one on the right.

One morning Gus took me to a large market in search of tops for my collection. We must have asked for a Jumbo Premier in the blister at a dozen different shops. We could not find it but we did get a Junior on the blister, which is more rare, plus a nice trove of other tops, plus a giant balero and a wrestler mask. Gus also got some wooden spoons of different sizes to do the top to the spoon trick (in spite of the blooper in Cautin's video, I saw him nail the spoon over and over). Following my suggestion he got extra spoons that he signed and gave me for those interested (Hall of Fame, etc).

Then we went on a quest for good string. We met the contact for “marina de primera” on a street corner (yeah, it was like searching to buy drugs) but he said he could not deliver before Gus left for Europe. So we went on a search for the best off-the-shelf string. We must have walked 30 blocks through the downtown shop district, asking at every sewing thread shop for tips.  The first two good leads were closed for Holy week, but we finally found some. Gus got 6 spools and I got 1.  We carried back our haul in the metro and the bus.   This is what I brought back to the US, including tops, old posters and displays that Cometa, Gus and Salvador gave me (minus the demonstrator's shirts and T-shirts):

Something I had wanted to visit every time I had been in Mexico city was the Papalote museum, their big children museum. Unfortunately, I was disappointed to find just a very small display about tops. But we did bring our tops and here is Brian trying to put one inside a bubble:

I stayed the last couple of nights at Salvador's home. Lupita makes some great tacos!  There I finally discovered the secret to Salvador's skill with tops. It is all about Indian magic  ;D ;D:

I cannot thank enough Gus and Salvador for all they did for me during my perfect trompo vacations in Mexico City!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:00:05 AM by ta0 »

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
Re: Mexican top tourism
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 11:34:41 AM »

Thanks for the report Jorge!  What a fantastic trip--I'm sure it will be one you'll never forget!

Looks like you scored loads of spin top booty too... ;D
Erratic Wobbler

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 03:06:16 PM »

miam miam yum yum !!

indian magic ! beautiful artifacts!
wooden spoons : the next hype!
one item for the holy basement!
el pueblo unito rama sera vincido :P :P

jim

ps : Ludo just called me saying : jim we're going to mexico next year!
and with ludo it's no joke !!
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

topper777

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 03:28:10 PM »

looks like you had a great trip.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:59:57 PM »

By the way, as proof of how strong his boomerang is, this was the result when he first tried to throw the Extrem top Neff had modded with a solder ring:

WOW!  I must have not melted the whole joint, or maybe I did... that is impressive either way.  I wish he would have gotten a chance to play with it more tho :(  I will repair that for you ta0  :)

Great stuff

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 09:34:44 AM »

Ta0, what a great time you must have had !  What a haul you brought back too.  They can't all be for your collection can they?  I see lots of sets of 4 or 6 or more.  Will you now have a booth a Worlds/Nats?   ;D  Really not a bad idea.  Did you ever wear the Flatland shirt with the top on it?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 09:49:24 AM »

Great pics and great updates.  Thanks.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 08:20:33 PM »

We met the contact ... on a street corner (yeah, it was like searching to buy drugs)

This would have been a great intro for a story about searching out a back alley traditional spintop battle with the promise of a Death Stab.  youtube link from Jim link = link

Among your loot, I thought you might have a couple of Rios style tops you could paint black and white yourself since his price was unreasonable.

bAd

• Gold Member
  • You spin my head right round, right round...
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 10:11:05 AM »

Nice reportage! ;D

You brought back an incredible amount of stuff!!! Well done! It's a shame I live so far away, or I would definitely love to come see your collection, it must be huge...  :)

Is that hat you're wearing in the last photo the same Salvador wore for the Aracnidas tutorial?? I've spent quite some time on that video, but still managed to get no spiders.... :P

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 01:04:28 PM »

Salvador and his wife own several similar hats, so I am not sure is precisely the same one.  But I have a surprise video using a hat you have seen before . . .  I hope to start working on the videos this weekend, but it is not a promise as I have not been able to catch up with work yet and the tax deadline in Monday . . .

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 12:43:37 PM »

happy christmas to you all
this is the thread i read again when i have the blues ;D

Xmas gift

jim

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 01:36:25 AM »

Thanks for bringing back the memories!  :)

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 02:43:18 AM »

Now that's the kind of vacation I would love. Great country, friends, food, and tops. I was wandering how many 4 1/2 diameter tops you could make if you melted the little ones down? I will never change.