iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: the titanic - the most top spinning exposure ever?  (Read 13814 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
the titanic - the most top spinning exposure ever?
« on: April 05, 2012, 02:29:08 PM »

Almost daily there is something in a newspaper about the movie Titanic or the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking on April 15th.  With the picture of the boy spinning his top on the deck or the short scene in the movie where he is throwing his top, is this the most exposure ever for our sport?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
Re: the titanic - the most top spinning exposure ever?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 08:32:43 AM »

Interesting!  Here is a link that someone has to the actual top spinning scene from the movie Titanic.  They say this is their favorite scene!

http://michellerose2994.tumblr.com/post/6746423298/f***yeahrmstitanic-my-top-10-favorite-titanic

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 09:58:28 AM »

If you would of asked me what would make the spintop popular, the last thing I would of said is the Titanic!!! :-\

But... Whatever works ;D

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »

I ashamed to say i don't even remember that scene.

Maybee I'll be watching again after all.
Erratic Wobbler

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 01:08:51 PM »

I haven't even seen the movie. But maybe I should now. :D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 10:59:06 PM »

I just read where there will be a Titanic Memorial Cruise.  The cruise, organized by a British travel agency and sailing on the liner MS Balmoral, will feature history lectures; a stop at Cobh, Ireland, the Titanic's last port of call; and a stop in Halifax, Nova Scotia, where many of the victims were buried.

And as the date draws nearer, their excitement builds.

"I think it will be fascinating. I get chills just thinking about it," Sheila Byron says.

Perhaps that's with good reason, the article says.

The Titanic Memorial Cruise will follow the route the Titanic took, and is scheduled to be in the exact spot at the exact time the Titanic struck an iceberg close to midnight on April 14, 1912, sending it to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean a little less than four hours later. More than 1,500 people lost their lives, and about 700 -- mostly women and children -- survived.

They will be wearing period costumes and reinacting many of the things that happened 100 years ago.

So.............Don't you think this means that there will be a young boy on the ship who can throw tops!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 02:11:48 PM »

Well, the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic came and went.  Sadly enough, I did not see or hear of any mention of spinning tops or the recreation of that famous scene.  I think I have noticed an increase of google entries surrounding that scene.....but they missed good opportunities this weekend for some spinning fun!

jochs12

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 06:20:46 AM »

I was trying to get this post done before the Titanic's 100th anniversary but I have just been busy lately.  Just a few thoughts on the picture of the boy and his top on the Titanic.  Many of you may have already read this with all the press that Titanic has been getting lately but I thought I would pass on some of the interesting top facts connected with this story.  The boy's name is Robert Douglas Spedden and he was 6 yrs old when the picture was taken by a Jesuit priest, (Father Francis Browne, who was told to get off the boat at the next stop by his superiors) during the leg from France to Ireland of Titanic's maiden voyage.  The man coaching the young boy is his father, Frederic Spedden.  The Spedden family was returning to New York City after vacationing in Europe.  Amazingly the boy and his parents survived the whole ordeal of the sinking of the Titanic.  Of the 2,224 people on board the Titanic only 710 survived (32%).  And because of the "women and children first" protocol that was generally followed for the loading of the lifeboats, most of the male passengers and crew were left aboard.  Of the 1670 men that were on board only 338 survived (20%)  So, for the whole Spedden familiy to survive the sinking of the Titanic was quite fortunate.

Here is the original photo:

Talking a closer look at the picture I noticed that the top doesn't look like a typical peg top.  It looks like it might be more of a whip top, which was quiet a popular toy in that day.

In looking up whip tops on the internet, our friend Don Olney is consistently mentioned as being one of the foremost whip top authorities.  On another forum there was someone that mentioned that there was a book that was written by Robert's mother, Daisy, called "Polar, the Titanic Bear".  The story behind this book is pretty interesting and can be read about in the following link: The Story behind "Polar The Titanic Bear".  I was hoping that there might be some information that would shed some light on the background of his top.  I was able to find the book at our local library.  It was a interesting little book but all the information on the top was the following sentence: “We had fairly smooth weather those first few days and spent most of our time on deck, where (Robert) would spin his whip top or play ball.”  So I was able to verify that it was indeed a whip top.  I wonder if this was a top that he picked up while on his travels in Europe or just in one of the ship's gift shops?

As mentioned before they recreated the photo in a quick little scene in James Cameron's 1997 movie “Titanic”.  At 1:16:20 into the movie we see the character Jack Dawson sneaking onto the First Class deck while in the foreground we see a father coaching his son on how to throw a top.  They did a nice job in recreating the scene:

You will notice that in the movie they use a rather large peg top for the scene. 

Does any one recognize the top they used or do you think it is custom made for the movie?

As a final note, despite the fortune that Robert had in surviving the sinking of the Titanic it was a mere three years later that the family was spending the summer in Maine. Robert, now aged nine, ran out into the road after a ball and was hit by a fairly new contraption called the automobile, being one of the first recorded automobile accidents in the state. He died two days later.  If only he had been in the yard safely playing with one of his tops.  Imagine the ambassador of top spinning he could have been in our day!
Enjoy taking my tops for a spin

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 09:11:37 AM »

Never be ashamed of missing a scene in that movie. I am proud to say I missed the whole movie.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 10:15:19 AM »

Wow! Great research, jochs12!

Once upon a time we discussed this picture but the copy I could find (from the online catalog of Father Francis Brown) did not have near that much resolution and you could not see that it was a whip top.  Just a look at the hi-res picture and there is no doubt it is a "mushroom" whip top.

Comparing the two pictures, it is amazing how exactly the ship is reconstructed. Even the shadows are approximately in the same direction!  In that sense it is a pity they did not use a whip top.  If they had a "spintop consultant" he/she probably never saw the higher resolution picture.  Identical whip tops are easy to find.

I suspect there were many more male survivors from the first class deck than from the lower decks . . .
When the movie came out I refused to see it because there was already a classic movie about the Titanic.  I did see it later on TV.

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 11:23:02 AM »

Wow! Great research, jochs12!

YEAH! very interesting. thanks! :)

jochs12

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 07:11:23 PM »

Comparing the two pictures, it is amazing how exactly the ship is reconstructed. Even the shadows are approximately in the same direction!  In that sense it is a pity they did not use a whip top.  If they had a "spintop consultant" he/she probably never saw the higher resolution picture.  Identical whip tops are easy to find.
I wrote Judith Schulz (The Top Lady) at TheTopMuseum.org to see if they were involved in consulting for the movie and she said that they were not.  She did mention however that they do sell the correct versions of tops (whip) in their catalog

I suspect there were many more male survivors from the first class deck than from the lower decks . . .
This is the breakdown of men survivors of the Titanic:

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 10:58:07 AM »

Nice work Jochs!  Thanks for the informative bit of research and for clarifying the Titanic top.

The numbers look pretty grim for all classes of passengers...

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 01:43:02 PM »

It is great that you took the initiative to ask the Top Lady herself.  I suspected we would have known by now if she had been a consultant on this one, but it is nice to know for sure.  By the way, I was going through the videos on my computer and found the Believe it or Not TV show on her.

The numbers look pretty grim for all classes of passengers...
To me 1 in 3 chances of surviving (1st class) sounds much better than less than 1 in 10 (2nd class)! Interestingly, there were more crew members than male passengers  :o

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 05:31:32 PM »

Almost daily there is something in a newspaper about the movie Titanic or the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking on April 15th.  With the picture of the boy spinning his top on the deck or the short scene in the movie where he is throwing his top, is this the most exposure ever for our sport?

I certainly hope not! This movie feeds negative stereotypes about icebergs.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955