iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Top Throwing advice?  (Read 4969 times)

Free

• Gold Member
Top Throwing advice?
« on: December 01, 2010, 12:54:21 PM »

Hi all, I just started spinning a couple weeks ago and I'm having a couple issues that I was hoping to get clarification on. I just Got a Guilia and a Spintastics Trompo fixed. I started with a BK, Rip Cord and a mexican top. These 3 I hold the top at 1 or 2 o'clock for my throw and I have no trouble with these. I am using the same string for the BK and the Rip Cord and the Mexican top has it's own string that shorter. The Spintastics came with a string that was a little longer than my wingspan (I'm about 6'1").
When I threw it, it consistently came back horizontal to the ground. I've shorted the string about 9-10 inches and I throw it with it standing straight up instead of angled toward 1 o'clock like the other tops. This has fixed the issue and it comes back correctly for the boomerang. However this string length feels too short for this top (what do I know I'm just starting), but it just doesn't "feel" right. I really prefer throwing the tops at a slight angle, it's more comfortable that way. Do you usually have to cut the string on the Spintastic Trompos? Do you have to throw these vertically? Is there something I'm missing, or does this sound right?
The Guilia...An AMAZING top...when I can throw it right. At least 40% of the time when I throw it it doesn't smoothly roll off the string. It just kinda flops off, sometimes it gets to the end of the string and it actually pulls the button out of my hand. I don't know how to describe the feeling but it is anything but smooth and it definitely doesn't make for a successful throw. I'm using the original length of the string that came with it.

I had the same problem with my Mexican top but I seem to have solved it my holding it higher up on the shoulder for the throw. I've tried holding the Guilia at all different levels, I've tried really tight wraps, and loser wraps and medium wraps, I've tried different strengths of throw, from just basically dropping it to harder throws. I've tried different strengths of wrist snaps, but the problem happens as soon as it leaves my hand the wrist snap never comes into play. I'll wrap it and throw it seemingly the same way and it works 10 times in a row then, it doesn't work several times in a row.
I also have to hold the Guilia vertical instead of at 1 or 2 o'clock. (again i find the throw more comfortable at an angle and it seems like I cant throw the bk, rc, or Mexican wrong, they give me no problems). I'm having trouble finding the sweet spot where it comes back vertical with out me having to do a lot of corrections.

Hopefully this makes sense. I really appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Free

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
Re: Top Throwing advice?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 01:19:08 PM »

Free,
Welcome to the Forum and welcome to spinning!

I had similar questions a while ago and did a posting; perhaps something in it will be helpful to you:
http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php?topic=1014.msg9642#msg9642

I found Chris's comment “I turn my palm toward the ground a little bit as I release.” worked fantastically well for me.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 03:32:51 PM »

ah ah ::!!!

“I turn my palm toward the ground a little bit as I release.” worked fantastically well for me.

that's a kind of magic spell !! ;D ;D
there are  only 2 tips about length of string worth knowing

1  distance between floor and ear lobe (around more or less 6 ft)
2  a rough and out measure which includes thickness of string : 17 wraps around

when you get there it's just a matter of adjusting the throw: pointing a bit toward you or a bit outside

have fun throwing 8) 8)

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Free

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 03:44:08 PM »

Thanks, I'll try turning my palm down tonight and also I haven't tried pointing the tip in toward the crux of my thumb yet. I'll give that a go.
Do you think the palm turning down will address the issue of it not rolling off the string smooth? The jerky unsmoothness happens pretty much as soon as I release it...it must be the way I'm holding it but I stare at my hand and could swear I'm holding it the same way every time??...

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 06:09:18 PM »

Forget what Jim said. The right length of string depends on the spintop and the string thickness, not on your ear lobe  :P If the wrap on the side of the top is too tall, the top will not rotate enough, if it is too low it will rotate too much (a little counter intuitive).

My guess is that you have a problem with your release.  You should throw the top by stopping the hand abruptly and letting the forward inertia of the top pull on the string and force the top to rotate. Do not try to use your fingers to roll the top off your hand.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 06:39:19 PM »

Yes, you cannot trust Jim and his ear lobe.  He has a very long ear lobe!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 07:53:16 PM »

ta0 is right, it only has to do with where the tug of the string starts as you throw it away from your hand.  if the string is too long, the wind is higher (toward the cap) than it should be and the top doesn't rotate like it should, meaning the tip will be pointing back toward you when it fully unwinds.  Too short and it will over-rotate and end up pointing away from you.  The number of wraps doesn't matter, it has to do with the size and weight distribution of the top and the the thickness of the string being used.

Don't put the point in the web of your hand, it only confuses matters.  Always hold the top like this:

The reason the S8 is not working all the time is because the slick surface is less forgiving for *ehem* bad throws  :)
Basically it is unwinding as if you dropped it instead of throwing it.
The button has to be lower than the wind when you let it go
if the button is above the wind, it will uncoil instead of unwind

Free

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 12:05:16 AM »

"The button has to be lower than the wind when you let it go" This is the advice I saw from you, Neff, on a another post that corrected this issue on my Mexican top.
“I turn my palm toward the ground a little bit as I release.” And by combining this with the other tip I have been issue free all night. Thank you everyone!
I still have to play with string length on the Trompo and mess with the angle of release a bit on the S8, but they both are now catch-able every time.
Thank you! Man the S8 makes me feel like I'm cheating, it makes tricks so much easier!

Free

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 12:22:25 AM »

Man, the S8 makes me feel like I'm cheating, it makes tricks so much easier!
;D ;D ;D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 09:19:51 AM »

Go freehinton! 

Keep up the good work!!!

Free

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 10:42:31 AM »

I think I may have noticed something else bad about my thow. When I was focused on tilting my hand down a bit as I released I was releasing right in front of my body, but I had a couple bad throws and I realized I was starting to let go of the top before my arm was in front of me. So I was releasing during the trow instead of at the end of it.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 02:42:16 PM »

thanx chris and jorge for all the words

but " don't Forget what Jim said. "

the morphology of each player is also important
as much as the thickness of the string

jim

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 11:23:20 PM »

I was just thinking the other day about my morphology.  It's time to morph a few pounds off this frame.  This is supposed to be the time of the year when people gain 5-7 pounds.  I'm going to throw tops like crazy until my morphology is more like slim Jim's!