iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 3D plastic printing  (Read 10963 times)

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
3D plastic printing
« on: September 07, 2010, 09:43:31 AM »

I know nothing about this machine except what the various links say, but thought I should share this!

http://pp3dp.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
Re: 3D plastic printing
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 09:47:21 AM »

Forgot to mention - first 100 orders $1500 - after that $2,999?  ABS Plastic is $50/kg

Again, I know nothing about it's reliability, etc!

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 03:12:42 PM »

Wow, I want one!  If only I had $1500 to burn and a PC I'd be all set.  I had always planned on being rich for a living, but somehow it hasn't quite worked out yet.

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:03:09 PM »

i know someone who has one, but i haven't had time to play with it yet. too much work to do.  :(

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 10:43:40 PM »

We've been drooling over the Maker Bot kits where you buy a box of parts and plans to assembly your own 3D printer.  All the stuff is open source including lots of plans for designs people have already made.  Searching through posted examples, we've found a yo-yo and some poi things for skill toys but no tops (not even finger spinners)

And if you need an army for making tops you could print a bunch of these

Apparently these things can print designs from Solid Works and similar programs so some of you designers could post your designs without having your own printer and perhaps someone would print it.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 11:30:58 PM »

ta0 put a link up to the shapways website over on the Inception movie post.  They have several different printers / methods / materials.  Hunt around, it's pretty wicked.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »

Good article in USA today paper about 3D printing possibilities.  They did not mention tops or trompos but they did talk quite a bit about how it could help with the fit and comfort of prosthetics.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 02:30:43 PM »

Javier Caballero from Trompos Space gave me a prototype, one of only two he made I believe, of the first Saturno model. It was made by 3D printing; from the looks I am guessing from an ABS string deposition machine.  The top is fully playable. So, these machines have had an impact on top making for a while.

kyo

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 02:08:20 AM »

I have a rather nice 3d printer sitting on my desk now.. I've got tops printed on it, they are quite cool. I'll post some pictures in the next week or so maybe (yes, along with the worlds photos)

I'm using it for a -much- larger purpose, but it can certainly do tops.

Kyle

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 01:44:33 PM »

Once again, there is another article in USA Today newspaper about 3-D printers.  This article is even longer!  Dream up a doodad, it says, hit 'M' for make and presto.

kyo

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 03:32:16 PM »

There is a bit of fanaticism about printing right now.. apparently the media just discovered it... about 20 years late.

They are -massively- oversimplifying.. the media has bought the hype that a handful of companies are pushing. The truth is that absolutely every desktop system has problems, sometimes major problems, that will prevent the average consumer from using them with any real success. They all require a good deal of tinkering, problem solving, adjusting, upgrading, etc. to work properly and reliably. It is still very much a machine for the DIY types who like to fiddle with complicated gadgets.

Of course if you have a spare $20-300k laying around, plus an extra $5-15k a year for maintenance, you can buy a high end professional machine and let them fix it for you :)

Kyle

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 11:13:19 AM »

I am curious, Kyle, what machine do you have?  Is it yours or does it belong to a company you work for?  How much costs just in materials (not counting amortization of the machine, labor, etc) to make a regular size top?

By the way, robtsou, have you made any tops with the Makerbot machine you won? 

Any chance we may have a 3D printer in the mod room at worlds this year?  :o

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 12:03:39 PM »

I am curious, Kyle, what machine do you have?  Is it yours or does it belong to a company you work for?  How much costs just in materials (not counting amortization of the machine, labor, etc) to make a regular size top?

:o That sounds good! ;)

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 10:40:35 PM »

Actually, I was going to bring it last year but wasn't able to get the time off from work to come down.  If I can make it down this year, the Makerbot will come with me.

kyo

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 12:54:06 AM »

I would consider bringing mine, but I'm not sure I'm actually going to drive out this year.. may just fly.. that drive is ridiculous and my wife isn't joining me this year so nobody to share the drive with.

Materials are cheap.. couple dollars of plastic at most. The time required is significant.. I think the spintop I did the other day took about 4-5 hours to print. I need to make a lower section for the bearing tip.. I keep having problems printing that section so I'm cutting one in delrin to fit the printed body.

Kyle