iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What bout Weight repartition? and material?  (Read 3551 times)

Tomymoonly

• Gold Member
What bout Weight repartition? and material?
« on: July 28, 2010, 07:22:13 AM »

Hello guys just got a few questions about the repartition of weight.

I think (tell me if i m wrong) that ther is 2 important "rings of weight" in a top,
-the one from the bearing sit or the tip sit,
-the one from the top of the top (funny to say top of the top ^^)

So if i move the top ring, and that i put it a closer to the tip one, will it affect the balance of the top?
How can i calculate, or determine the good repartition? only by testing them?

And do you thing wood could be a great material to build top i mean as a delrin or a metal one or maybe plastik, some of those are great, or is it too oldschool to make it a good product.

Thanks.

========================

http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php?topic=143.0

found a few answers here but not exactly what i was looking for.

======================
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:02:11 PM by ta0 »

Tomymoonly

• Gold Member
Re: What bout Weight repartition? and material?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 08:10:30 PM »

anyone who will be able to help me on this quest?

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 09:26:30 PM »

Here, in México, we never use a ring inside the top. In my very personal opinion, is not necesary to use at all.
But is possible that in some special and expensives tops, you must be use them, I don´t know.

I think that the second ring you are saying, is the one that is used to put it in the "top of the top" and that is useful to throw it.
 In the other hand, the most of USA players, they don´t are very used to play with this ring. And here, is the opossite thing, all the people uses the ring to throw the top. Only a very few quantity of persons take the ring away and do the knot in the capa of the top, without using a ring.
Personally, I never use rings of plastic inside the tops. Only in the trompo  Grandes. But it´s the same to me to play with or without the ring inside. I ´ve got a Duncan Ripcord, and I think that the black ring to ber used inside is completly unnecesary.
And, to me is almost completly necesary to play with the ring to throw the top. Besides, doing many tricks, is necesary ..like a counterweight...and you can do at least, a couple of nice trics by using this ring.

Je ne sais pas si cette information será d´aide pour toi.

Tomymoonly

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 04:21:05 AM »

for the second ring i was thinking about the weight wich is close to the tip u know where there is the most material (where the tip is fixed.). The ring wich u re talking about is the one to put string and to throw the top, this one isn't really for the weight repartition i guess,

for the other ring, i get what u say, really interesting if u don't think it's changing anything...

Other answer?

Btw nice french ;)

MrYo

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 06:53:24 AM »

In my long producer experience (LOL  8) ), i can tell you that is possible to throw and boomerang near anything (in fact my most difficult throw was with the original Titti and sucessfully landed on my arms, but this is another story  ;) ). I used the ring in my last top because of the high weight in the bottom part of the top, i prefer to have a center of weight more high, but the top could work fine without it. You  cannot  make the perfect top, someone likes high stability, someone not ecc. The thing you can do is to make something reflecting you and your experince. If you see my first STB, you see something immature, a good try but without the needed knowledge. If you see my sencond top you see what I know now, the help of more experienced friends and what i like now.

Maurizio

Tomymoonly

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 07:02:39 AM »

ok nice thanks to pass on my topic i know you are really busy atm ^^

Anyway now, what about materials?

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 03:58:03 PM »

When I start to play with a Spintastics SideWinder, the first thing I do is change the rubber O-Ring.  I go to a hardware store and buy a fatter (heavier) O-Ring to add weight at the largest diameter.  The added weight adds to the spin time.  It also does a better job of protecting the top when it hits the ground.
Practice hard and play safe.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 05:00:22 PM »

And do you thing wood could be a great material to build top i mean as a delrin or a metal one or maybe plastik, some of those are great, or is it too oldschool to make it a good product.

If you have enough craftsmanship you can make very good playing hollow tops out of wood. I have one from Eric, made out of cocobolo wood, with a YYJ bearing tip, that I could use to do all the bearing tip tricks on the Sport Division list. And with Neff's Punk top I could do all the fixed-tip tricks on that list.

Tomymoonly

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 07:10:08 PM »

Ok so wood can be a really good material if it's a good quality one and if the top is really well turned...

nice, and for u guys, what is the best top u ever tested? (with picks or link please, i don't really know all the brand and models ^^)