iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: the movie "the holiday" and a top spinning reference  (Read 3235 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
the movie "the holiday" and a top spinning reference
« on: July 24, 2010, 08:11:06 PM »

The movie "The Holiday" seems to come up quite often on television.  It is on TBS right now.  My wife always wants to watch it when it is on.  It has jude Law and Cameron Diaz in it  during the weeks around Christmas.  Jack Black and Kate Winslet are also in it and when Kate invites him inside her house, where they are having a Hanukka party, Jack says something like "yea, I am good at spinning dreidels!"

Go dreidels!!!

======================

On the old buttons and strings board hardly anyone would ever answer posts, especially ones like this.

(Note from administrator: Sorry Mike that I joined your posts but answering your own posts is somewhat like cheating  ;D)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:15:53 PM by ta0 »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: the movie "the holiday" and a top spinning reference
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:19:12 PM »

One year I would like to go to New York for the world dreidel duration contest and show them how a gentile can spin! The problem is that it is pretty cold over there that time of the year.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:14:29 AM »

(Note from administrator: Sorry Mike that I joined your posts but answering your own posts is somewhat like cheating  ;D)

Mike, are you trying to have your 1000th post be your report about the Miamisburg Whirled Festival of Tops which is coming up this August 28 (http://miamisburg.org/tops.htm)?  With just under 35 days left you'll need to average over 5 posts per day! :o  I guess those of us not attending worlds will get lots of reports about all the action from you.  :) :) :)

PS. to Mike I've sent you a PM (actually just resent it in case the first didn't make it), please check your messages.

MatiasStuntMan

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 10:55:58 AM »

Mike you are a very good husband, I remember watching that movie with my wife, but I dont remember the movie at all, maybe my mind was wondering on playing Tops, or riding motorcycles...or boobs...

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 11:50:38 AM »

1000 by the Burg top festival?  Hmmm!  That sounds interesting.  I really hadn't thought about it.  I would have to really be hopping to make it by then.  It might not be a problem if I was allowed to answer my own comments but it was pointed out to me that this type of activity might be cheating.  Of course, I would never want to be a cheater ;)

I would love to be at that dreidel competition in New York with ta0.  It would be fun to compete but it might be even more fun to just watch the competition and write down his comments on everything!

Yes, MatiasStuntMan, we husbands have to put up with these romantic movies at times but thankfully our minds can wander to fun things like top spinning.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 02:52:36 PM »

I don't think Mike is trying to get to 1000 posts or he would not have pass the opportunity to comment on Cautín's belt and boots.

1000 by the Burg top festival?
I definitely want to hear more about that. Is this a Guinness record attempt? Go ahead Mike, post a reply, pleeease .  .  .

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 08:48:05 PM »

I don't have a chance at 1000.  Whew, that would be a lot of posts in August!  And even if I were to get to 1000 I would still be several hundred behind the ta0meister.  Maybe 900 would be more realistic.  We'll see..........

...........oh, and Cautin's best and boots were pretty impressive.  My wife would say that he drives like a grandpa, though.  He really pulled in there slowly and then took off like a turtle at the finish.  I kept waiting for something to pop out of the car at the end.