iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Turning week  (Read 9513 times)

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
Turning week
« on: June 05, 2010, 03:28:03 PM »

After remake two defective screws the machinicist genium arrived to home.

The first step was to make some tips for my favourite top, the Spintastics Trompo Grande. After some original tips modification, I understand better how the diferent angulation of the grove and its bottom works.

So that I began to machinice with diferents materials. Each tip was tested intensively and corrected the design.

One of the first. After it I started to use more affordable materials. The tool makes strange things because I did make the idiot by ignorance.

In aluminium all seem easy. (The tip was for a Trompo Cometa and the "floor" was badly calculated).

PVC is easy to handle but the width was small (aparently good). But the shape looks beautifull.

An expriment with a wider size. Unfortunately makes difficult the Snap Star.

And the winner is...

120º of groove-angle, 4,5mm of groove width. 1 mm of sligthly curved groove floor. Silver iron. And small mistakes by the nervousity. The angle of the first side of the groove is the same of the body of the top.

Play with it is very comfortable to me. This tip is adapted to my kind of play.

I take the idea of the simmetrical groove angle of the Aracnoctámbulo's tips of the Jumbo top.

The idea of the bottom of the groove is copied parcially from the Trompos cometa-5 estrellas tip.

Adjust the angle of the body top to the groove is absolutely logical.

The 30º degree of the tip apical is to lift the top from the hand to avoid to do "the wheel. (I dream with a TG of teflon as strummol8). And add a bit of weight to the tip to low the gravity center.

The curved floor of the groove makes the preccesion a bit faster.

I play better when I trust in my top.

Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
Re: Turning week
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 03:46:36 PM »

Nice work Pulp!  I've been getting tired of turning tips in my drill.  I'v been using a big grinder (angle grinder) to remove material from round bar stock, but I get a lot of vibration and it is distupting the symetry of the finished tip.  I wish I had access to a metal lathe...

I like your design.  I've been making mine with a more continuous curve through the groove; less angular.
Erratic Wobbler

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 05:59:06 PM »

Your "high-rise condominium machine shop" looks great!

Good looking tip. Personally, I would probably go for a slightly thinner neck (3.5 to 4 mm).
I remember when I showed my first machined tip to Rob, at worlds 05 I believe, and asked him to keep it secret  ::)  :D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 08:42:14 AM by ta0 »

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »

4.5 mm of neck is a good compromise size for regens without loosing the string tricks, elevator, wirewalker, etc. I got tips with more narrow neck but I prefer a mixed stile.

RunBMC

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 10:03:11 PM »

How much do lathes cost? They dont seem like somthing you can just get at your local walmart.
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 10:29:59 PM »

The actual lathe isn't usually the most expensive aspect of turning, at least wood turning.  Tools and accessories for wood turning can sometimes cost as much or more than the lathe itself.

Metal working lathes often come with the basic necessities for turning but you can spend quite a bit tooling them up as well depending on your needs.

Just off the top of my head, for a setup that I would feel comfortable recommending, I'd say at least $300-$500 for a basic woodturning setup and probably double that for a metal turning setup.

Rob

RunBMC

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 10:32:29 PM »

thanks Rob, were can i get these?

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 05:32:46 AM »

eBay is plenty of lathes of every price.

It is very important to know for what you want a lathe. To customize or make tips, the smaller ones are simply enought.

Maybe my lathe is bigger than I need, because I thought to make a metal top, but in this moment that idea is out of my mind. But it is possible I tune some old tops.

Tomymoonly

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 06:25:39 AM »

nice nice... i really like the aluminium one with the spike at the top of the tip... and the first one even if ther is lot of making marks!

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 01:16:46 PM »

thanks Rob, were can i get these?

It really depends on what you want to do.  Wood or metal and what size?  These guys have a pretty good selection of things to look at and raise some more questions ;)  http://www.pennstateind.com/

Rob

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 03:17:49 AM »

Thats very nice Pulp, i really like "the winner", it seems great for regenerations

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 09:13:26 AM »

This morning I tryed to buy teflon. As I need 4 pieces (prototipes and final cut) they ask 6 € by each cut ¡¡¡3.000 old pesetas!!! More expensive the cutting than the material.... thiefs! After have a lunch I'll try in another materials provider.

Tomymoonly

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 09:25:43 AM »

could you try to do a video of your machine workin plz? i would like to see how u creat ur tips... :)

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 02:28:52 PM »

The video taking idea is in the folder...

MrYo

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 02:38:55 PM »

I'm dreaming into a cnc lathe for the delrin bodies  ;D , the metal lathe i have is good for study of prototypes, but i like to have something to produce with all at home. For the art the wood lathe is enough for me :-)
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up