iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2020 Giant Top 2.0 Philippines  (Read 3934 times)

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
Re: 2020 Giant Top 2.0 Philippines
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2021, 09:11:20 PM »

Wow! A year has passed. Past time for an update.  July 1, 2020, we closed two of our centers and turned the properties over to the owners.  It left us with the original leased property (last 18 years) where the giant top and launcher is located.  The landlords graciously waived the rent on the condition we keep the place maintained and ready to open as soon as possible.  We were approved by the government for partial operations in September but were shut down again in March. Still shut down but prospects of reopening soon.  Quite important because we probably can't survive, even on austerity, for more than a few months more.

Anyway, my last post was on the bearing point. Basically everything was in limbo until we got our partial operations going. The bearing idea ended up being a failure. My friend, the factory owner, came out to witness it in February and agreed the bearing was slowing the spin after rope release rather than facilitating it. So we went back to the original plan but rounded the original point so not as sharp.  Also installed a harder steel disk for the point to spin on.

We then decided to try a tarpaulin cover.  My wife supervised our housekeeping staff in the cutting and sewing of the panels.  When they were assembled, the maintenance staff sewed them to the framework by hand from the inside.  We think fiberglass would be the best permanent cover but we lack fiberglassing experience and could not afford it at present in any case.  Our maintenance staff are currently constructing and fiberglassing a children's playground slide so we are gaining experience!

We tested the spin with the tarpaulin cover on Saturday.  Just a manual pull, no Bumblebee yet.  Jeremy was correct in assuming it would spin better with the cover.  We had a 7 minute spin manually.  We were doing only 4-5 minutes with frame alone on manual spin.  I would think it's a combination of aerodynamics and the additional weight of the tarpaulin purely on the perimeter.

Will post a link to the video of the test when uploaded.

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2021, 09:45:56 PM »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2021, 12:42:14 PM »

Looks like a smooth spin!  8)
I agree, the extra mass is a big part of the longer spin. The effect on air drag is not as clear to me.

It's great to seen it spin again!  :)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2021, 04:14:58 PM »

Congrats, Joe!

I agree, the extra mass is a big part of the longer spin. The effect on air drag is not as clear to me.

Agree that the tarp's added AMI had a role. But as a guy who routinely builds tops with lots of ribs and fenestrations for air to get tangled up in, pretty sure that fairing the giant top's frame made a significant contribution to the improvement in spin time on aerodynamic grounds alone. And we've seen quite a bit of data to back that up in recent months.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2021, 04:19:33 PM »

Pretty amazing.  And pretty cool!!!  What great teamwork.  Jim Schreiber would be proud of you!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2021, 12:23:49 AM »

salut Joe
great sequence ! thanx for the update ;)

looking forward to more testing with the tarpaulin cover

bye
jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2021, 03:42:37 AM »

Just reviewed the posts and comments.  I couldn't remember what I last posted.  Has nothing to do with age.
Thanks for the encouraging words.