iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Very rare find: Autographed Genii Charles Penton Magazine  (Read 558 times)

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
Very rare find: Autographed Genii Charles Penton Magazine
« on: June 14, 2021, 10:21:27 PM »

I found this on eBay a month ago or so. I was sold by Ed Levin's daughter, and the autograph inside is actually personalized for him. The description on the ebay page said it was personalized for the seller's late father, which I suppose confirms that Ed Levin has passed away....  :'(

Here are some pictures:

I guess not very many people on this forum (or anywhere) know who Charles Penton is, but I've read that he has been mentioned in some very old posts on the forum by member's such as Herman Lau and Don Onley. The top act that has been mentioned before was apparently putting a duncan Imperial inside a balloon while it was spinning. It seems that he passed away the year after he autographed this magazine.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:25:56 PM by Texture »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Very rare find: Autographed Genii Charles Penton Magazine
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 12:59:27 AM »

Wow! That's more than rare: it's unique!  8)

I love that Penton has the top on the cover image and that he dedicated the magazine to Levin.
Does the article mention the top trick at all? I have no idea how you can put a top spinning inside a balloon.  ???

Yes, Levin passed away sometime in the late 2000's, a few years after having a stroke. When I was just starting as a collector I bought my first Siren King from him. It came with a business card that has Mickey Mouse spinning a top (he had an antiques shop specializing in Disney). But I got his booklet from his daughter Lori when he was already in bad shape.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 03:36:13 AM »

Great document
I like the expression dedicated to Ed Levin  "world class spintop manipulator"

Jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 02:38:55 PM »

Does the article mention the top trick at all? I have no idea how you can put a top spinning inside a balloon.  ???
Unfortunately, no. It does mention that he used tops very often in his performances, and that he is the only person in the world to perform a "card stab" with a top. Not really sure how he did that?  :o  It also describes several ntsr magic tricks.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 10:42:31 PM »

Seems like a unique man with some unique top tricks.  I have a number of his tops from Don’s collection.  Many are mixed in with other spinners but he loved to give each of his items a number so most anything with a number is most likely a Levin owned top.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!